eBay Billet Distributor Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Had an ear break off of my distributor body on my ‘98 Vortec 454 (7.4L) so I need a new one. In the distributor thread this interesting piece was mentioned eBay Billet, $249.99 but there are no reviews and before I pull the trigger I wanted to check if anyone had direct experience with it. The pain of pulling the plenum and the fact I’m moving my family cross country in the Suburban this summer means I don’t want to be a test case for if it’ll hold up.

Thanks

DIMESFORLIFE

Reaction score
How's it going . New guy here . Dizzy looks sweet . I wish that the caps on these vortecs was like a hei or tbi cap .. my 96 has a miss at cruising speed but once u give the beans no miss . Fresh tune up plugs wires cap rotor feul filter tps cleaned maf sensor . Egr is unplugged cause of the miss and backfire is so bad .. I'm stumped.. any who I like this dizzy hope it works good

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, that's a bit pricy isn't it? For that price you can put a blank cover on it and buy the 24x crank trigger from EFI Connection to go coil near plug

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, that's a bit pricy isn't it? For that price you can put a blank cover on it and buy the 24x crank trigger from EFI Connection to go coil near plug
Not in CA I can't but since I'm moving to TX in the summer, tell me more. I have broken cap ears so something needs to be repaired and at. 200k miles I bet the gear is nearly worn through.

I called BET today and they have them on the shelf minus the cam gears. He's getting them drilled and reamed this week so he can assemble at least one and I'm probably pulling the trigger on it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think your confusing Chinese cast that's often called billet with actual billet.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not in CA I can't but since I'm moving to TX in the summer, tell me more. I have broken cap ears so something needs to be repaired and at. 200k miles I bet the gear is nearly worn through.

I called BET today and they have them on the shelf minus the cam gears. He's getting them drilled and reamed this week so he can assemble at least one and I'm probably pulling the trigger on it.
How would they even know? Its all factory GM stuff and you can make it all look like it came that way. You can program the new 0411 ECU with the original vehicle VIN and make sure it doesn't report anything failed. I haven't lived in Cali for a while, but this seems like it wouldn't be anything that would trip up the smog referees.

0411 swap so you have more control of the engine tune. Run an LS 24x OS, I started with an 8.1L/4L80e OS.

Replace your 4x reluctor and the old vortec distributor cap with this 24x reluctor and this blank: https://www.eficonnection.com/home/product/efi-24x-crank-reluctor-and-cam-sync-distributor-rcap

I got the coil brackets, coils, and stock plug wires from an 8.1L from a local guy for $10.

My original plastic distributor looked original and the motor had 288,000 miles on it. The distributor itself looked fine(no slop in the shaft bushings) but the gears were trashed. I got an AC Delco replacement gear setup from amazon for $40 and just cleaned the heck out of the whole thing. OEM gear rebuild kit is AC Delco PN# 10457708. In the CNP setup the distributor doesn't really have any resistance or do anything other than 1x cam signal, so a new billet setup just seemed silly.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Had an ear break off of my distributor body on my ‘98 Vortec 454 (7.4L) so I need a new one. In the distributor thread this interesting piece was mentioned eBay Billet, $249.99 but there are no reviews and before I pull the trigger I wanted to check if anyone had direct experience with it. The pain of pulling the plenum and the fact I’m moving my family cross country in the Suburban this summer means I don’t want to be a test case for if it’ll hold up.

Thanks
Since you're moving to TX, as a bandage fix you could use this:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
then do what @BeXtreme mentioned when you're settled in. I haven't had any luck with aftermarket distributors. Bought one off Summit and it was bad right out of the box. Couldn't tell until it was installed of course... costed me 2 hrs of shop labor.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your confusing Chinese cast that's often called billet with actual billet.

Similar subject - I paid big money for a new KTM dirt bike a while back. The wheel hubs appeared to be billet. After getting it home and looking closer, they looked to be cast that was milled down to make them look like billet. Fool me once...