Eating fuel pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your fuel tank may not be venting. Go for a 15 min drive, get out and leave it running. crack the gas cap and see if there is vacuum at the tank. If so, that is killing your pumps. works it very hard to overcome the vacuum in the tank. Essentially a plugged filter. "Too big of an injector" would be loosing fuel pressure when run hard, wouldnt kill a pump. Bad wire going to the pump not carrying enough amperage will do it too.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuel pump relay that most part stores sell is a generic one size fits all rated for 15 amps. They tend to melt and cause an intermittant low volt.
Go to NAPA and get the "Echlin" 30 amp and look real close at the plug to see if it is melted too.

Taylor Trash

Reaction score
Sup y’all, I’m new to the forum. I’ve recently put 3 fuel pumps in my 1996 K1500. I burned 2 of them on a trip where I was towing right around 2k lbs. the third replacement I decided to start new with a new fuel tank, sending unit, pump and filter.(used all OEM replacement parts including Delphi pump and sending unit) It’s running well now with about 200 miles on the new parts. I guess I’m just Still worried that it’s not fixed since I got about 1k miles on the last repair.(pump and filter only) should I definitely replace the relay since it’s cheap anyway? Any other ideas just in case?