Easy way to remove old window tint film

Discussion in 'OEM and Custom Interiors' started by Moparmat2000, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Moparmat2000

Moparmat2000 I'm Awesome

Window tint film is cool looking and drops interior temps in the summertime pretty effectively making your A/C run efficently if using metalized film. The problem with it is how to get rid of the old ratty film, and remove its glue easily especially on vehicle windows with defogger lines on the glass without damaging them.

This method is really easy to do. All you need is some thin mil plastic sheeting cut to fit the window shape, a squirt bottle filled with a 50/50 mix of water and ammonia, and a shady area or a garage to keep the windows out of direct sunlight..

Park the vehicle in the shade, spray the window tint film with a liberal amount of the ammonia water mixture, and stick the plastic against it. The plastic sheeting keeps the ammonia mixture from evaporating and holds it against the film softening it and the glue. Once you do this, go find something else to do for about an hour or two. Tech tip, Do this before lunch then take a break to let it work.

When time is up slowly peel back the plastic sheeting, and pick at the edge of the film to slowly start peeling it back along with the plastic. The film will peel off taking about 95% of the glue with it. Reapply the plastic and ammonia water mix as many times as needed. Use the ammonia and water spray with a paper towel to clean the excess glue off the window.

This works great on older tint film thats dried and flakey too. It will soften it up so you can peel it out in large pieces.

Hope this helps
    Matt

slowburb, someotherguy and Eveready like this.
  2. laidbackbigun

laidbackbigun I'm Awesome

Kitchen cleaner 409 works also but not as well.

3. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

Good trick keeping the ammonia mix on the tint/glass. I'll have to keep that one in mind for my next removal, especially if I'm fighting brittle tint that keeps breaking up instead of tearing off in big pieces.

For the glue I've always just used Windex, razor blade, and paper towels. The Windex turns the glue into easily-wiped snot. :D

Richard

4. JackE

JackE I'm Awesome

I always use 409 and a black trash bag. Heavily spray the 409, stick the bag to it, and I have found that direct sunlight helps much more than shade. Since I started using this method, I have never had any tint or glue stay on the window with the first peel.

Moparmat2000 likes this.