E85 500 HP 383 with a L31 truck intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Front pads and calipers are different for single vs dual rear wheel. The 01-02 van thick rotors use the dual rear wheel calipers and pads.

Yes, I know that..... I've actually done the swap on my truck. Going back to look at what you wrote, it looks like I didn't read it carefully enough.

03+ vans have rear discs. Have considered a rear disc swap on it. I think swapping means an 03+ housing. Would have to swap my gears and locker into the 03+ housing or find an 03+ 4.56 geared rear with a factory locker.

I would assume the spring mounts would need to be moved, unless the vans don't follow the trucks in that regard.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I know that..... I've actually done the swap on my truck. Going back to look at what you wrote, it looks like I didn't read it carefully enough.

I would assume the spring mounts would need to be moved, unless the vans don't follow the trucks in that regard.

My tape measure and measurements I took at a junkyard say the vans stayed the same. The vans already had the wider mounting spread of the NBS trucks back in 96. I measured a Vortec Max 14 bolt SF I have laying in the shop and it is the same spring mounting pad width as the van but a narrower rear end overall. Shock mounts stayed the same too and are unique to the vans. Both shocks go toward the front of the van. Front half of the van frames changed but the rear portion stayed pretty much the same.

I found a low mileage Dana 70 out of a newer Diesel van a few weeks ago complete for $300 with 4.10s. Should have snagged it.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that OTC spring compressor is a must have for working in the suspension in these trucks. Now that I have actually used it, far safer than those parts house rental jobs. You hold the center shaft with a wrench and the center shaft locks into the pads that compress the spring. Practically zero chance of it slipping as the tappered cones that hold the pads to the shaft are locked into place and get tighter as the spring is compressed. You can grab a larger portion of the spring than the parts house jobs with the large forks that stick out and it easily slides up into the spring pocket in the frame and the matching pocket on the control arm. It was also easier to remove once the knuckle was bolted back into place as well. I won't compress another coil spring without using this tool!

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Working on the radiator and fan mounting this afternoon.

Have to stop by the hardware store to pickup some self tapping sheet metal screws to secure the upper plate to the crossmember and some weather strip to cushion where the shroud and radiator contact. Also picking up some bolts, washers and nuts to mount the shroud to the the radiator. Ordered some new polyurethane radiator cushions for the radiator to sit in.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is there any air-gap between your mounting plate/shroud and the radiator? If not, you're only pulling air through the surface area covered by the fans rather than the whole radiator core.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any air-gap between your mounting plate/shroud and the radiator? If not, you're only pulling air through the surface area covered by the fans rather than the whole radiator core.
Edit...The shroud is 1" thick. The shroud contacts the top and bottom of the radiator core and fits snugly on top and bottom. A well manufactured piece. I am going to use thin rubber insulation strips where the sides of the shroud would otherwise contact the radiator core and tubes.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On another note....The coil springs and steering knuckles are back in place this evening. All that is left up front is to torque the control arms, ball joints and add the brake parts on both sides. Oh shocks and end links too.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, just realized I misread this post. The fans mount about 1" behind the core as you see in the pictures above. Pulls air across the whole core. Edited my first response.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Sorry, just realized I misread this post. The fans mount about 1" behind the core as you see in the pictures above. Pulls air across the whole core. Edited my first response.

Ok, I couldn't tell that by the first picture.... it looked like a flat plate. What is it made of? I like the stamped aluminum tanks. What brand radiator is that?