Dually Hauler from Dallas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That'd be cool, remember there was a split somewhere between older and newer GMT400s. Older ones like my 88 pulled straight back instead of hinged like yours. Maybe 88 = 91?
Do the earlier style hood release handles hold up any better than the later models? The 95 up is a dumb design, needs to be anchored better to the body to handle the cable and spring tension....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've torn a couple of these apart.

It looks like the pivot pin that the handle rides on is a tube that is part of the backing bracket.
There is a shallow notch in the top of the tube for the spring to stick through.
The end of the tube is that textured cap that is inserted into the tube. The inserted part has a small hole to accept the end of the spring. I've carefully cut one apart to see if I could separate the cap and the tube and I couldn't do it. It looks like the cap is fused to the tube somehow. Maybe glue. Maybe plastic welding.

I was trying to dissect two or three assemblies so I had a good handle, a good backing plate and tube and a good cap. Then I could just assemble the parts instead of reinforcing and epoxying up the one I have.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a new “car” handle on now, but I do have original handle that needs to be repaired. I’m wondering if the handle can be removed from fixture and then swapped onto a new one. I can’t figure out what this is inside. Whether it’s some metal fastener or maybe a split tab.
You must be registered for see images attach

It's a split tab. Sort of like a split rivet. But when I peeled away the tube from the end cap I could expose the ends of the tabs, but the tube held on like it was glued.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It's a split tab. Sort of like a split rivet. But when I peeled away the tube from the end cap I could expose the ends of the tabs, but the tube held on like it was glued.
I've been trying to come up with a metal reinforcement for the housing, to try to give it a bit more support. Just cause they're cheap, doesn't mean I wanna replace it every six months....
The one on the Burb has been out of commission for a while. It's just the cable and sheathing, sticking out of the kick panel.... I have a new assembly, and metal to make the reinforcement from, but just haven't gotten to it yet. Too many other projects in line ahead of this one....
I got them to hold up a little longer, by drilling another hole and putting another sheet metal screw in, to distribute the spring tension somewhat. It's a bad design....

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's frustrating that manufacturers powder-coat over bare steel without first electroplating it. Moisture will penetrate the powder coating and just rust away behind it untill it all comes peeling off. I had mine sandblasted and zinc coated before repainting it and it still looks like new many years later.
plating not required before powder if the metal is prepped correctly. Moisture is not going to penetrate powder.
It's easy to see there is a lack of metal prep on OEM powder coated parts.