Dual Caliper Conversion Finally Done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Twice the calipers, twice as many pistons.

Twice the fluid volume needed to move those pistons.

I guess part of this "upgrade" is to install a larger-bore master cylinder, and a more-powerful booster.

And then you need a couple more calipers up front.

But at least you got rid of that evil park brake.

The way I see it, his braking force remains largely unchanged, he just won't change rear pads before he sells the truck or dies.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
He needs twice the fluid volume to match what the calipers need..... but don't drums take more fluid to operate? If that's the case then he would likely have a surplus of volume with only one caliper per wheel since the truck originally had drums. I'm assuming he still has a stock master cylinder, of course.

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. What's your front brake setup? What master cylinder and proportioning valve?

Would you consider installing a parking brake? You can get a pinion-mount small disc/caliper setup from hot rod suppliers. Parking brakes are a good thing. :D

Richard
Front is the drilled and slotted rotors from lsmfg.com

I would if it worked with what I had and if I hadn't ripped everything out already.

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I guess part of this "upgrade" is to install a larger-bore master cylinder, and a more-powerful booster.

I had already done the upgraded nbs MC when I did the single caliper conversion. abs and everything is all still there and functioning properly

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He needs twice the fluid volume to match what the calipers need..... but don't drums take more fluid to operate? If that's the case then he would likely have a surplus of volume with only one caliper per wheel since the truck originally had drums. I'm assuming he still has a stock master cylinder, of course.

I had upgraded to the NBS MC when I did the single caliper conversion.

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Wasn't evil everything I had just wasn't working properly and truck wouldn't stop period. So I decided to change out the drum for discs. When I did the conversion I went for was something I could get parts for the truck from a parts house and not have to order from a company online. So that's how I ended up with what I have. Plus, my truck not like it's gonna be for sale any time soon.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drums move much further to engage braking surface than disc. Remember drums and shoes have return springs and flex when actuated. Disc pads when pressure released slightly float away from rotor and are always near rotor so fluid travel takes less volume to move to contact.

mwyson

Reaction score
Finally got around to finishing my conversion using the cunninghammachine.com brackets and man does this thing look sweet!!! No guys I did not retain my E Brake.

You must be registered for see images attach

I imagine you get a lot better stopping force with less pedal and less heat generation. I worry about no parking brake though. Going down a steep mountain road and busting a brake line scares me to death!