dual batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
I would recommend a heavy duty solenoid (below) over an isolator.

You must be registered for see images attach

"D" can be connected to keyed ignition source

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I know my Diesel has the positives of both batteries directly connected to each other and each has its own seperate ground. I cant see why you cant wire it like that? Of course you would need a drivers side battery tray from a Diesel truck to make that idea work as well lol

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know my Diesel has the positives of both batteries directly connected to each other and each has its own seperate ground. I cant see why you cant wire it like that? Of course you would need a drivers side battery tray from a Diesel truck to make that idea work as well lol

That does work and it works quite well, I had my 94 wired like that. The downside to that is if something drains the battery, it will drain both batteries.

If you wire it like BHB said you can drain the normal battery while still leaving the 2nd charged

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
More then likely i will be adding a third battery to my truck wired in the way BHB suggested. This third battery will primarily be for winch use.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i like my factory set up, its nice always having a way to jump the primary battery if it goes dead.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
1 ton vortec trucks have them that way too and i think all trucks with the dealer installed plow

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have all 5 of my batteries tied in together off of one 200 amp alternator ... absolutely no problems ... just make sure you have the Big 3 cabeling installed properly

astewart1995

ImAwesome
Reaction score
im just getting tired of draining my battery. ive got 4 aux lights (adding 6 more soon), subs, onboard electric compressor, HID's, and im about to add a winch. the best thing i can think of is the big 3 and an extra battery

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im just getting tired of draining my battery. ive got 4 aux lights (adding 6 more soon), subs, onboard electric compressor, HID's, and im about to add a winch. the best thing i can think of is the big 3 and an extra battery
My recommendation would be to have 4 batteries for all of that ... 2 under the hood in stock, and the driver side additional locations under the hood ...
Then in your tool box ... 2 more batteries ... I do not see where you would need a isolation/ distribution block either ... FRAME GROUND EVERY BATTERY !!! Shortest ground wires as possible ... and if possible, use 2 awg welding cable / copper welding connections ...

Should work out great !!! This is the way mine is set up ...