Dropping fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When we dropped the tank on my Burb, to change the fuel pump, even with 15 gallons of gas still in it, the tank wouldn't come down all the way till the filler neck was loose from the body. And it was heavy enough you'd have thought it would!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't need to drop the tank if you lift the box. The "2X4" is a "special tool", cut to fit the width of the box at the lifting point. That way the box doesn't collapse inward. Don't forget to bolt the chain around the hook, so the hook can't slide down one side of the chain, tilting the box uncontrollably.
You must be registered for see images attach

I've done it both ways on my '88. First time I dropped the tank. Second time I lifted the box. The next time will probably be a box-lift, because all the hateful rusted bolts have been replaced and anti-seized. I'm not expecting a hardware disaster like last time.

One way or another, all this crap has to be disconnected.
You must be registered for see images attach

And sometimes it's not fun to get the fuel plumbing separated. I had to make some repairs to the connections at the tubes for the fuel pump "hanger". Clean the frame and grounding eye on the ground wire.

Fernley Nevada?

I was stranded there overnight on my way to visit Dear Old Dad. I'd probably have had the fuel pump installed there...if it wasn't a holiday weekend. I got desperate, drove the car to D-O-D's place, (130 miles, 8 hours due to stalling and inability to get to highway speed) where the shop told me my Lumina's 42-psi fuel pump was putting out 7 psi. The next trip, I blew a tire near Fernley; got a used replacement from a Treasure Yard just outside of town.

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, you would think wrong. The tank can be held in place by the filler neck with the straps completely gone. But I've only owned these trucks since 1996. What do I know....
Yep! Step number one.
Open the fuel fill door, remove the screws that hold the fill neck to the bed.
That whole system is designed so that in the event of a crash the fuel tank doesnt just drop out on the road.
Those tanks are also designed so that if all of the straps fail the filler neck is attached to a "sacrificial" plate.
The plate inside the fill door.
That mounting plate is designed to tear loose from the bed and leave the fill neck intact and still have the gas cap on it.
And that involves all of the lawsuits GM had from exploding tanks on square body trucks and federal regs etc...
The other part of this is that fill neck is a very ridged chunck of hose.
Any straight clamped hose only wants to pull off in a linear and rotational way.
If you kink that hose, even just a little bit.
That force moves past the clamped part of the hose and transfers into the unsuported section of that hose.
Beyond the clamps and beyond whatever it is clamped too.
The hose used on fill necks is federally regulated.
It resists kinks and deformation.
The more you twist it, the more it resists that twisting motion and transfers it into the wall of the hose.

Unless it is rotted with holes through it you will never win that battle.
And you will still need a sawzall.
That tank can be full and not drop because it is designed to be full and not drop.
That fuel fill hose will hold that tank in place without the straps and in a rollover.
Theoretically.
That is what its design to do
Dont really want to test that one.
Then you have the whole "free space" fuel sloshing issue with un-baffled tanks.
And none of that has anything to do with why the Broncos bought our ******** ego fake phoney washed bible thumper short QB for a quarter of a million bucks.
I used to live in Denver.
I was a project manager on Invesco Field.
My name is on the builders plaque on the southwest ramp.
I am a Seahawks fan.
Seattle man.
But the Broncos were my bread and butter.
I made my way because of some pretty deep ties to the whole Broncos organization and the community.
The entire brass and oak bar from Pat Bowlens owners suite is in my former house in westminster Colorado.
My friggen ex lawn is sod from mile high.
I have so much leftover Broncos swag.
For Wilson to go into Denver and face plant is not unexpected.
Just didnt see it being that bad.
The big deal is you can be fake as hell in Seattle with Pete Carroll coaching and covering up for you.
That **** dont fly in Denver.
Kissing babies doensnt make you a pocket passer.
Fire Cant Hackett.
Get somebody to ***** slap Russell harder than his wife does.
Your stuck with the turd for 3 years.
Thanks for the trades.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that took an unexpected turn, lol! Love those posts Thinger!
I think that it is so sad that younger people think that I have lived some life that they cant live.
I am a looser high school weed smoking punk who got expelled from the Seattle school system and arrested for duct taping explosives around the urinal pipes of the bathrooms and blowing up the plumbing.
When we fled the scene, my art teacher stepped out of the room to try and stop us.
I was 6'2" and about 190 at the time.
I cant describe to you how hard I hit her.
I flattened her just full tilt smashed her.
And that is the most horrible thing Ive ever done.
She was pregnant.
And her husband had died a couple days earlier in a diving accident.
I ran away and hid and didnt say anything to anyone.
I went home and got my boy scout tent and my camp stove and lived in Schmitz park for a week or so while my parents sent out the search teams.
It easy as hell to blame somebody else for what you have done.
Any **** can do that.
Owning what you have done to someone else is a hard damn road.
And its real easy to pretend that it is somebody elses fault.
Always remember, everytime you think you are a hero, someone else may be a victom.
Anytime you feel like a victom, Someone else sees themselves as a hero.
Find somebody who does not care about winning.
Find a woman who doesnt care if she farts while making you breakfast when you are sick as hell.
Find a woman who doesnt fart on your breakfast
What more do you really need out of life?

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
I think that it is so sad that younger people think that I have lived some life that they cant live.
I am a looser high school weed smoking punk who got expelled from the Seattle school system and arrested for duct taping explosives around the urinal pipes of the bathrooms and blowing up the plumbing.
When we fled the scene, my art teacher stepped out of the room to try and stop us.
I was 6'2" and about 190 at the time.
I cant describe to you how hard I hit her.
I flattened her just full tilt smashed her.
And that is the most horrible thing Ive ever done.
She was pregnant.
And her husband had died a couple days earlier in a diving accident.
I ran away and hid and didnt say anything to anyone.
I went home and got my boy scout tent and my camp stove and lived in Schmitz park for a week or so while my parents sent out the search teams.
It easy as hell to blame somebody else for what you have done.
Any **** can do that.
Owning what you have done to someone else is a hard damn road.
And its real easy to pretend that it is somebody elses fault.
Always remember, everytime you think you are a hero, someone else may be a victom.
Anytime you feel like a victom, Someone else sees themselves as a hero.
Find somebody who does not care about winning.
Find a woman who doesnt care if she farts while making you breakfast when you are sick as hell.
Find a woman who doesnt fart on your breakfast
What more do you really need out of life?
Dude, you are inspirational

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't understand the benefit of actions that can be classified as an act of , urban terrorism. Not my words, but how the Feds would.
When I was at Ford, there was a recall, service bulletin on one of the fuel hose fittings on top of fuel tank. So we either 1) removed bed bolts from tank side loosened the others. Had a couple guys lift the tank side ( tilt up) then placed some notched 2x4's to hold up the one side. Or 2) use engine lift/ cherry picker to lift bed off, then set on blocks behind. A few times rolled truck back lifted bed off with forklift, then rolled truck forward into shop to finish tank work. Aaaaaand ....being at dealer , my luck, customer truck tanks were always half full or almost full of gas or diesel.
Cutting a hole in bed?!? Not just no,. EFF NO! :3811797817_8d685371 Good luck!

RocketRed

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media