driveshaft shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 94 3500 nv4500 single cab 4X4 with the 11 ft bed/ 34 inch frame and the narrow 16? gallon tank (I have never put more than 16 gallons in it, even when bone dry.) The truck originally had two tanks with another one in the rear which rusted out from non-use condensation. I am getting ready to take the 8 ft utility bed off to mod in a bracket plate for a welder/ compressor/ O/A tanks. From looking at it if I remove the carrier bearing bracket from the frame and shift it over a mere inch I can get the wider 28 Gallon tank on it. There are no suspension mods on it so I am wondering if it would cause driveshaft alignment/u joint issues? Any thoughts?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd suggest you try to adjust the location of the carrier bearing into said position, pre fuel tank replacement, and give it a test drive. If it works, then you'll have your answer. That's the best way to know if it works...
on your vehicle...
by testing out your theory...
on your own vehicle.

Then let us know!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a '95 C2500, with a 4.5" lift knuckles and rear blocks. Before the lift, it drove smooth at all speeds. After just the front, it was still fine.
I sent the rear axle out for 4.88 gears. After reinstalling it, and tapered 4" rear blocks, it developed a vibration 35-43 mph. Turns put the rear most u-joint was sticking. And the excess rotation due to the added angularity of the lift made it bind.
Had no idea it was bad until I modified something. Then I fixed it.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 94 3500 nv4500 single cab 4X4 with the 11 ft bed/ 34 inch frame and the narrow 16? gallon tank (I have never put more than 16 gallons in it, even when bone dry.) The truck originally had two tanks with another one in the rear which rusted out from non-use condensation. I am getting ready to take the 8 ft utility bed off to mod in a bracket plate for a welder/ compressor/ O/A tanks. From looking at it if I remove the carrier bearing bracket from the frame and shift it over a mere inch I can get the wider 28 Gallon tank on it. There are no suspension mods on it so I am wondering if it would cause driveshaft alignment/u joint issues? Any thoughts?
Dont do it. You will shred the carrier bearing in no time and it will take out the trans tailshaft and the pinion bearings too.
You also run a serious risk of blowing up the u joints or snapping the entire tail case off of the transmission.
You can also rip the center bearing right out of the truck and do the driveshaft pole vault when it stuffs into the pavement.
Dont do it

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont do it. You will shred the carrier bearing in no time and it will take out the trans tailshaft and the pinion bearings too.
You also run a serious risk of blowing up the u joints or snapping the entire tail case off of the transmission.
You can also rip the center bearing right out of the truck and do the driveshaft pole vault when it stuffs into the pavement.
Dont do it
Thanks for the input, I ended up going a differant rout though, i had a parts truck with the same tank on it and was going to install it on the passenger side, running the filler hose under the utility bed, however, that changed when l bought a 97 3500HD, which l can now confirm uses the UPS frame and suspension, the same as used on the Fleetwood Pace Arrow RV's.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I ended up going a differant rout though, i had a parts truck with the same tank on it and was going to install it on the passenger side, running the filler hose under the utility bed, however, that changed when l bought a 97 3500HD, which l can now confirm uses the UPS frame and suspension, the same as used on the Fleetwood Pace Arrow RV's.
Awesome. I only brought it up with the death warning because I have done the trifecta
I have had the tail snap off of a ford c4 and punch the driveshaft into the asphalt.
Ive also broken a ball joint on a 70 z28 and dug up about twenty feet of road before it ass slammed into a bus stop and pretty much tore everything beyond the B pillar off of the car.
My greatest achievement was breaking a tie rod end on a 86 F250 and standing it on end and wiping out most of roadside christmas tree lot.
I also blew a front tire on my crappy Audi and ran it through an entire cord of stacked firewood.
And then there was the time when a buddy of mine set me up on a blind date with this just awesome and beautifull girl.
So I talk her into riding on my 70 Suzuki T500.
In the rain.
I dumped the bike going down a dirt alley in the mud and sent her head first into a compost heap.
She went face down chin plowing into the turd pile and packed her throat full because she was screaming the whole way.
There was no second date after that episode.
And then there was the time when I was doing donuts in my 72 monte carlo in the Safeway parking lot and slammed sideways into the curb and chucked my buddy right out the window into a whole bin of rotted pumpkins.
That was actually pretty hilarious.
He didnt think so.
I also ran into a house one night thank god it was abandoned.
Bought my wife a brand new Jeep Cherokee with everything for our anniversery while she was out of town .
Got up at 4am to go get her from the airport and forgot all about that new jeep in the driveway.
Opened up the garage door and backed my lifted K5 right over that jeep.
Had to drive all the way back while trying to figure out how to tell her that her presant was a crushed jeep.
Those are just the highlights.

I drive like an old lady these days.
I figure I have pushed my luck far enough and I know that somebody out there is driving the same way I used to drive.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I only brought it up with the death warning because I have done the trifecta
I have had the tail snap off of a ford c4 and punch the driveshaft into the asphalt.
Ive also broken a ball joint on a 70 z28 and dug up about twenty feet of road before it ass slammed into a bus stop and pretty much tore everything beyond the B pillar off of the car.
My greatest achievement was breaking a tie rod end on a 86 F250 and standing it on end and wiping out most of roadside christmas tree lot.
I also blew a front tire on my crappy Audi and ran it through an entire cord of stacked firewood.
And then there was the time when a buddy of mine set me up on a blind date with this just awesome and beautifull girl.
So I talk her into riding on my 70 Suzuki T500.
In the rain.
I dumped the bike going down a dirt alley in the mud and sent her head first into a compost heap.
She went face down chin plowing into the turd pile and packed her throat full because she was screaming the whole way.
There was no second date after that episode.
And then there was the time when I was doing donuts in my 72 monte carlo in the Safeway parking lot and slammed sideways into the curb and chucked my buddy right out the window into a whole bin of rotted pumpkins.
That was actually pretty hilarious.
He didnt think so.
I also ran into a house one night thank god it was abandoned.
Bought my wife a brand new Jeep Cherokee with everything for our anniversery while she was out of town .
Got up at 4am to go get her from the airport and forgot all about that new jeep in the driveway.
Opened up the garage door and backed my lifted K5 right over that jeep.
Had to drive all the way back while trying to figure out how to tell her that her presant was a crushed jeep.
Those are just the highlights.

I drive like an old lady these days.
I figure I have pushed my luck far enough and I know that somebody out there is driving the same way I used to drive.
Jesus Christ!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jesus Christ!
Im one of the better drivers amongst my friends.
I only hit the house after my good friend bill threw a ferrit into a crowded house party and it bit a bunch of people.
We all went off of the second floor balcony that night.
Hard as hell to drive in the rain when you are drunk with one eye swelled shut.