Driver side, inside door handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
The handel tends to hang open a bit. Still trips the latch ok it just looks goofy.

I assume there is a spring someplace that returns the handel to completely closed?

Haven't taken the panel off yet to look.

Thanks!
Ken

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the same problem developing on mine. The Chev is off the road for the winter. ( It is F-ing cold and snowy out) Not going to address the situation until spring. Keep us posted.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume there is a spring someplace that returns the handel to completely closed?
yeah, it has a spring. For the last 3 or 4 years I've just pushed it back into position until I can find a decent replacement, DON'T BUY DORMAN CRAP! I did for the outside passenger one and now, after a year I'm gonna have to replace it again, GRRRR. The retaining clip or whatever, has broken or bent so the whole housing is loose but, still works.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
If you do buy one of the cheap ones, It's easy to put your metal handle in it. Just knock out the roll pin holding the handle and put the spring and pin back with your metal handle.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yes, there is a spring. Part of the assembly is probably breaking. I replaced mine with a non-GM part... probably Dorman. It's been fine. When, I needed to replace it, I was told by someone more experienced with door handles (Someotherguy) that the aftermarket replacements were just as bad as the OEM GM parts, to me that means don't go spending the $$$ for GM parts in this situation thinking you're getting the best, if your short on money... which, I was at the time.

While you are in there, you might clean and lubricate the linkage/rods.

My exterior Saturn handles stay out unless I push them back in, especially the rear driver's side. I had to push it down just so that it will latch.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I had found a person parting out a truck with a red interior. I need a pasenger side door panel so planed on looking at that one while the panel was off. He wne t silent on me so i'm guessing that deal is no more. Anyway... I'll see what I can find and replace it. While the panel is off I'm considering cleaning the inside of the sheet metal and spraying a little bed liner (rattle can) on the steel to help dampen some road noise.

Ken