Driver side door won't open from outside or inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

That 1988 GMC

Reaction score
My OBS is a 1988 GMC K2500 with manual door locks and manual windows. Out of nowhere my driver side door wouldn't open from the outside, and 2 door openings later using the inside handle, that doesn't work anymore. No evidence that anyone tried to break into the truck. Passenger side door opens fine inside and out.. Any tips on getting the driver side door open again so I can do further diagnosis of what the issue is will be greatly appreciated. Also thanks in advance.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your door latch itself broke. If you can get the window down you might be able to get a long homemade pick in there and push and pull on the latch's controls, but it might end up being a case of cutting the door open. I'm hopeful someone else may have a better solution for you.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I don't think it would come to the point of cutting the door open... If you can get the window down, a stout rod is enough to push down on the linkage needed to release the latch. I'm more wondering if the lock rod detached and is binding it locked.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That would suck. What I did to the flipper when the door refused to open was remove the inside door handle to gain access to the rods and monkeyed with those to get the door open.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can open everything, Gage and DeSoto. TV (our 3 or 4 channels, with the foil on the antenna) was so much better back in the day. And you are thinking, that was a lot of help?
You must be registered for see images attach

Flatcap

Reaction score
If you have door panels like these, can you not remove the arm rest and play around with the rods? You never know your luck!
You must be registered for see images attach