Driver power lock wiring failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbmimica

Reaction score
Hi, i am trying to repair the door wiring for the locks wich stopped working only on the driver side, i have checked the buttons and they work, swapped them with the copilot power lock buttons and they work there, so after many failed attempts to repair, even after changing the fuse, i decided to remove the wiring harness completly to see what is the problem, and my first impression is that everything is so messed up, probably the previous owner send it to the mechanics and they did some strange stuff but i need help to reorganize each of the wires, each color to where it should be. I have seen a few diagrams but i did not understand them, neither understand how to recognize each color, etc. So i please ask for some help before my head explodes (the actuators are functional btw)

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy Crap! I am impressed by how bad that is.
Did that mess actually work for awhile and then fail?
If you have any junkyards near you I would try to find a harness to replace that mess.
Take the relays too.
If that is not an option for you...
And, if that disaster actually worked at some point..
Every connection and twisted wire and taped wire is suspect.
Officiall disclaimer
I do not recommend this at all..
But, if it worked before, you could try correctly making those wires contact by using crimps and insulating them.
Twisted together wires will never work and who knows what is going on under under that tape.
The relays look pretty crusty too.
I would also take a real good look at the rest of the wiring on that truck.
If they were capable of that masterpiece who knows what they have done to the rest of it.
I would also not leave that thing alone in my garage without disconnecting the battery at night untill I had chased all of the tweaker wiring out of it.
Friend, they didnt even have enough ambition to wrap the wiring in dollar store masking tape.
Youtube is full of vids about understanding basic auto wiring.
You can start with a cheap harbor freight multimeter and upgrade later.
Get one that has a "tone" feature and interchangeable leads.
A meter that makes a noise when you have continuity so you dont have to look at it when checking wires.
It makes a steady beep noise when you have power from one end of the wire to the other end of the wire or from the wire to the ground etc..
Get a cheap meter, watch some youtube vids, play around with it to see how it works.
Do Not mess around with the OBD port or the ECM untill you have some experiance.
The trick to wiring is to not get overwhelmed by it.
Check one circuit at a time and completely repair that circuit from end to end so you know that it is 100 percent correct and you can eliminate that from your list of possible problems
Cross that off of the list and move on to the next one.
If you are going to keep a gmt400,?
Learn the wiring and how it works.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @thinger2 recommended, I too would go to a salvage yard, try to find a GMT400 with same year and similar RPO codes, and then take the door harness off of it. The best you will probably find is a door harness that has some splices for aftermarket speakers, but hey, even that is way better than what you have now.

I just realized you are in Chile. Even our US-edition service manuals may not match the wiring you originally had in your vehicle. But, we do have a lot of service manuals available for download right on this forum. What year is your truck?

lbmimica

Reaction score
The 1997 service manuals are available for download on this post:

You will find the door harness schematics in there in some form.
The 1997 service manuals are available for download on this post:

You will find the door harness schematics in there in some form.

lbmimica

Reaction score
As @thinger2 recommended, I too would go to a salvage yard, try to find a GMT400 with same year and similar RPO codes, and then take the door harness off of it. The best you will probably find is a door harness that has some splices for aftermarket speakers, but hey, even that is way better than what you have now.

I just realized you are in Chile. Even our US-edition service manuals may not match the wiring you originally had in your vehicle. But, we do have a lot of service manuals available for download right on this forum. What year is your truck?
Thanks for the advice, the
Holy Crap! I am impressed by how bad that is.
Did that mess actually work for awhile and then fail?
If you have any junkyards near you I would try to find a harness to replace that mess.
Take the relays too.
If that is not an option for you...
And, if that disaster actually worked at some point..
Every connection and twisted wire and taped wire is suspect.
Officiall disclaimer
I do not recommend this at all..
But, if it worked before, you could try correctly making those wires contact by using crimps and insulating them.
Twisted together wires will never work and who knows what is going on under under that tape.
The relays look pretty crusty too.
I would also take a real good look at the rest of the wiring on that truck.
If they were capable of that masterpiece who knows what they have done to the rest of it.
I would also not leave that thing alone in my garage without disconnecting the battery at night untill I had chased all of the tweaker wiring out of it.
Friend, they didnt even have enough ambition to wrap the wiring in dollar store masking tape.
Youtube is full of vids about understanding basic auto wiring.
You can start with a cheap harbor freight multimeter and upgrade later.
Get one that has a "tone" feature and interchangeable leads.
A meter that makes a noise when you have continuity so you dont have to look at it when checking wires.
It makes a steady beep noise when you have power from one end of the wire to the other end of the wire or from the wire to the ground etc..
Get a cheap meter, watch some youtube vids, play around with it to see how it works.
Do Not mess around with the OBD port or the ECM untill you have some experiance.
The trick to wiring is to not get overwhelmed by it.
Check one circuit at a time and completely repair that circuit from end to end so you know that it is 100 percent correct and you can eliminate that from your list of possible problems
Cross that off of the list and move on to the next one.
If you are going to keep a gmt400,?
Learn the wiring and how it works.
thanks for the advice, the system did work before, the only difference is that yesterday i took the electrical tape off to expose the copper, but yeah,
Still figuring out how to repair first