Driveline Vibrations---Possible Driveshaft Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ted talk. lol Well said, and totally agree. I've never seen an A level tech doing the things you describe working at a tire store. Not sure an A level tech would put in an application at a tire store.

I've been to many training classes with an instructor that worked for Car-0-Liner frame equipment. He also headed up the frame and structural/measuring classes of our local I-Car training as well. He did the suspension and steering diagnostics class as well. You don't know what you don't know was one of his favorite sayings. He finished every class with you now know more of what you didn't know and I don't want to use you as an example of what not to do in my next class. lol
@Hipster I don’t suppose the I-Car instructor was a fellow named John Shewbridge was it? If so he and worked together for the same “engineering” company for almost two decades. If so you met one of the sharpest guys I’ve met, and one the most valuable assets in the automotive industry. He’s done I-Car training forever.

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I could find someone! I'd go in a heartbeat and pay whatever diag I had to. I have called at least 12 places. I will call more in the morning while forum searching and having my coffee. I will also rotate the driveshaft and check u-joints while I am at it. Do you think the NVH app is worth it? It's $99. I have spent way more than that chasing....I know, shame on me. And TED talk is good with me LOL
@BBslider001 what part of the country do you live? I would be willing to reach out to any contacts I may have there to see if they know a qualified shop that you could take old Shakey Blue to.

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had no use for this balanced assembly. I also feel it’s good to know whether or not you have a bent or defective wheel.
Oh I bet that is an imbalanced assembly. Operator error prevents that from being balanced. Looks like two equal together, may work sometimes or may not depends on about 3 IF’s, then the one out there by itself…let’s just say they felt like they were doing something lol.

Too many variables to even speculate.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if it was balanced, it looked like sh*t.
Oh I bet that is an imbalanced assembly. Operator error prevents that from being balanced. Looks like two equal together, may work sometimes or may not depends on about 3 IF’s, then the one out there by itself…let’s just say they felt like they were doing something lol.

Too many variables to even speculate.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Hipster I don’t suppose the I-Car instructor was a fellow named John Shewbridge was it? If so he and worked together for the same “engineering” company for almost two decades. If so you met one of the sharpest guys I’ve met, and one the most valuable assets in the automotive industry. He’s done I-Car training forever.
I have heard of that guy before. Not the same guy. John Christenson, comical fellow, a great guy, and a great instructor. I could call him anytime when he was a rep and he would come by. It wouldn't surprise me that the two of them knew each other both being part of the I-Car network. JC as we called him was sharp as a tack on things auto related. He would bend over backwards helping a tech be a better one..... if he knew you took the quality of your work seriously.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, is 2.5 oz of weight on one wheel considered too much?
It's been over 25 years since I did a lot of balancing, so take that into account. For cars I think 2.5 oz was our max and for trucks we typically considered 5 oz too much. However, deflating, breaking the bead, and turning the tire 180° is a lot of work. I think the modern strategy is just to throw more weight on it and hope it balances.

Our race trailer got a load of balancing beads in the tires, and they made a huge difference in how smooth the trailer towed empty. If it's so effective, I wonder why the industry at large hasn't adopted balancing beads.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder why the industry at large hasn't adopted balancing beads.
Seems to be a popular option with the motorcycle crowd, but I couldn't tell you how many times I pulled a bead balanced tire off and rebalanced an MC wheel because the front end was pogo'ing. Imho, beads don't seem to be a fitzall fixall solution.