Driveline Vibrations - 2003 Silverado 1500 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
My girlfriend's truck (03 1500 ~90,000 miles) has a weird humming sound (can hear it but can also feel it in the pedal) when giving it any gas whatsoever. Let off the gas and it goes away. Hit a smooth dip in the road and the sound appears to goes up and down with the dip. Weird, like I said. Her dad seems to think it's the differential (apparently there is some noticeable grinding sound too that I couldn't recreate when I drove it tonight). I'm going to jack the rear up, pull the cover and the axles, inspect the guts of the diff and the wheel bearings and see if anything is off. I'm going to take a look at the U joints as well.

Anything else I should check out while I'm crawling around under there? Has anyone had a similar issue? I'm ure it's something simple but won't have time to actually look at it until Friday. Just fishing for some other possibilities.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The road dip is odd. Certainly there is unloading and reloading of the bearings in the axle. You're also flexing the driveshaft at the u-joints. The u-joints will be the easiest to inspect, and/or replace.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You did not indicate if your driveshaft was a solid or two-piece version. For if it is, do not forget to check the center support bearing they have a tendency to wear out as well.