Draining 4l60e for filter change... no mess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did some tinkering awhile back on mine and while I had it off I put a pan with a drain plug back on, at the start of the job I have a fluid pump but I did not get enough out to make a difference in the mess. The pump I had was a cheap hand pump from Home Depot.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to get it off without getting any on my floor. All I had was a horse feed bin. Maybe 2'by3'.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did some tinkering awhile back on mine and while I had it off I put a pan with a drain plug back on, at the start of the job I have a fluid pump but I did not get enough out to make a difference in the mess. The pump I had was a cheap hand pump from Home Depot.

yah, I found a 30ish dollar pan on amazon that has a drain plug built in. Looked easier than the "add a plug" kits as far as time goes. I just remember this part being messy with other trucks. Thought I would try to find a way to clean it up a bit.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Wouldn't something big like a metal wash tub, or a tote be the easiest? ....of course I've never done this since I have a 4L80E that comes from GM with a drain plug :)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just drop one end first, that mitigates most of the mess. Keep 2 bolts partially threaded in one end of the pan and let it down initially at an angle.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just drop one end first, that mitigates most of the mess. Keep 2 bolts partially threaded in one end of the pan and let it down initially at an angle.

yeah... I have done that before. Still doesn't help when you are trying to get the last two bolts out while balancing the pan, lol. I think I may have done this on two trucks and they both have had some spillage. I was just brainstorming for a method that may have minimized the mess.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't something big like a metal wash tub, or a tote be the easiest? ....of course I've never done this since I have a 4L80E that comes from GM with a drain plug :)

I wish! But, ordered the new pan, so I will have one soon! :banana-mario: