Doug Thorley headers installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davkenrem

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked around for pics of these installed and could not find any so here are mine I installed today on a 97 Suburban K1500 w/ a 6" Superlift Suspension.

Let me know if you want other views.
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice! Have had Thorley Tri-Ys on my Express van for several years now. I still love the Thorley headers.

davkenrem

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked around at a bunch of different headers, the cheap ebays, full long tube but these kept coming up as most problem free and most beneficial to a mild tune. This is a new L31-R with a SPO350/357 cam and the new injector spider. I'm going to do the 411 PCM swap also once I save some money to buy the progammer. I did not want installation problems with fitment or leaks and these just have a stellar reputation from what I was able to research. Read a few of your posts too, so you have some blame for this too.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked around at a bunch of different headers, the cheap ebays, full long tube but these kept coming up as most problem free and most beneficial to a mild tune. This is a new L31-R with a SPO350/357 cam and the new injector spider. I'm going to do the 411 PCM swap also once I save some money to buy the progammer. I did not want installation problems with fitment or leaks and these just have a stellar reputation from what I was able to research. Read a few of your posts too, so you have some blame for this too.

That should be a very nice running truck when you are finished with it.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this thread, as I just put the same engine (less SP350/357 cam) in my 96 scsb 1500; and I also went with Thorley long tube tri-y's, high flow cats, xpipe, and magna flow mufflers. I just completed the 0411 swap this wknd, and truck is noticeably different. Much smoother idle like everyone says, but need to log some data and update the tune.

I'm wanting to do a cam upgrade, and I'm on the fence between '395 w/1.6:1 rockers & '151 w/1.5:1 rockers (like I assume you have). Very interested to hear your feedback on the performance.

Last, on the Thorleys - I had issue with loose bolts on the collectors, and ended up going with Stage8 locking fasteners. Those worked, but they corroded quickly. The few times I had an issue I had to order the special collector gaskets from Summitt, as my local parts stores didn't carry them. I ended up also putting Thorley LT tri-y's on my '14 6.2L. Same story as here, and I ended up cutting the flanges off and going with Vbands. Pics attached.

davkenrem

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume the above photo is the 6.2l because it looks different than mine unless your [96 scsb 1500] is 4WD then the headers look different from mine. Do you recommend I skip attempting to use the collector flanges and going right to the V-Band clamps at the collectors? Did you do this portion yourself or have your exhaust shop do it?

As far as the engine goes, I have not fired it yet. I have the SPO350/357 Cam with Stock ratio rockers. I'm going to attempt to fire it on the Stock PCM, didn't want to change too many things at once and I have not purchased a programmer as of yet but leaning toward HPT. Once I have the truck running and all the other replaced or upgraded systems sorted out I will do the 411 Swap.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assume the above photo is the 6.2l because it looks different than mine unless your [96 scsb 1500] is 4WD then the headers look different from mine. Do you recommend I skip attempting to use the collector flanges and going right to the V-Band clamps at the collectors? Did you do this portion yourself or have your exhaust shop do it?

As far as the engine goes, I have not fired it yet. I have the SPO350/357 Cam with Stock ratio rockers. I'm going to attempt to fire it on the Stock PCM, didn't want to change too many things at once and I have not purchased a programmer as of yet but leaning toward HPT. Once I have the truck running and all the other replaced or upgraded systems sorted out I will do the 411 Swap.

Correct, photos of the 6.2L 2wd. I have not done the vbands to the '96 yet, but I will pretty quickly because the stage8 bolts look like they are causing the collector flange to start to rust. A local shop did this for $140 for the set of stainless Vbands. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a set of stainless headers with xpipe that either have vbands or gasketless collector connections, like Kooks or Stainless works, or Texas Speed. That said, I think I would go to the vbands when you have the exhaust installed (assuming you use an exhaust shop), and just avoid the collector gasket issues altogether.

I don't think you will regret the 0411 swap, especially with that cam; and it is really easy. I got mine running yesterday with a tune from Blackbear, and its a night and day difference. Runs like a modern truck.

davkenrem

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I will go with the vbands and looking forward to the 411 SWAP.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I will go with the vbands and looking forward to the 411 WAP.

I have not had issues with the collector donuts or the hardware that Thorley shipped with the headers on my Express van. In the future if needed I will convert to the V-bans. However 4 years since install as well as two removals and installations later, I am not having any issues.

davkenrem

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not had issues with the collector donuts or the hardware that Thorley shipped with the headers on my Express van. In the future if needed I will convert to the V-bans. However 4 years since install as well as two removals and installations later, I am not having any issues.

Well that sounds great, maybe I should start there and make the change if it becomes a problem. Do you have any photos of your installation?