Door won’t shut right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21InA94

Reaction score
Long time reader new member. I’ve done everything changed pins latch striker still sags but got it to shut if I lift it up all the way closed. I’ve tried bending with a jack and no Luck it still drops to the same. Read many that say get a new door but it looks like it has been replaced before because there are bolts not welded. Any advice would help thanks.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If there are bolts at the hinges, the hinges have been replaced. Sounds like they may not have been installed correctly. Are there bolts where the hinges attach to the cab?

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bolts on the door side of the hinges on both top and bottom hinges? total 8 bolts? Depending on who did what there you might have to pull the inner panel to loosen the bolts. There's usually a little wiggle room with a replacement hinge. Take a paint marker/sharpie and put a couple marks on the doors where the hinges are located so you can reference where the door was and move it up a touch from there. You will be adjusting up and down and how close the door is to the body all at the same time and without some witness marks it's easy to get lost in the process.

make sure the bushings are still tight.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your hinge pins are new, and your striker is adjusted right, then you've done all you can short of welding in beefier metal under the hinges. GM went too cheap on the door metal on our trucks.

Ryline

Reaction score
Long time reader new member. I’ve done everything changed pins latch striker still sags but got it to shut if I lift it up all the way closed. I’ve tried bending with a jack and no Luck it still drops to the same. Read many that say get a new door but it looks like it has been replaced before because there are bolts not welded. Any advice would help thanks.
Did you get your door alignment resolved?

21InA94

Reaction score
Bolts on the door side of the hinges on both top and bottom hinges? total 8 bolts? Depending on who did what there you might have to pull the inner panel to loosen the bolts. There's usually a little wiggle room with a replacement hinge. Take a paint marker/sharpie and put a couple marks on the doors where the hinges are located so you can reference where the door was and move it up a touch from there. You will be adjusting up and down and how close the door is to the body all at the same time and without some witness marks it's easy to get lost in the process.

make sure the bushings are still tight.
Door side I’m definitely going to try that today thank you

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. Tempted to net the window at this point for easy access. Lol
Although you have new hinges on the door side....

The usual culprit is the uppermost hole on the uppermost hinge (which is a door side hinge). It is a tight interference fit with the pin for that hole. IF that hole is wallowed out the tiniest bit, the door will sag with new bushings and pins.

The bottommost hole on the bottommost hinge is also a interference fit. That's the second likely culprit. If it's wallowed out the door will sag.

The solution is with the door jacked up as much as you dare (don't bend the door, or the jambs) spot weld the pin to the side of that uppermost hole, and if that doesn't take care of it then spot weld the bottom pin to the bottommost hole.

This requires a buddy, but with the door almost closed check to see how much up or down movement you get. With the door open just enough that you can see the uppermost hinge have your buddy move the door up and down. Repeat while lying on your back and looking at the bottom hinges.

I'm betting you are going to see movement between the pins and hinges.

Although the bolt on hinges should have some adjustment to them and may resolve the issue. You're probably going to have to adjust both hinges, one at a time and then check each time. It may take several attempts.

Last edited:

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
post some pics of the door closed, front back, top , bottom and also a pic of the door almost closed not quite touching the striker. You have not provided enough info to make a good diagnosis. Don't weld the pins, fix it right , fix it once

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
post some pics of the door closed, front back, top , bottom and also a pic of the door almost closed not quite touching the striker. You have not provided enough info to make a good diagnosis. Don't weld the pins, fix it right , fix it once
How do you fix it "right" if the upper and lower most holes are wallowed out?

New pins and bushings will not resolve the door sag if those two holes are the slightest bit wallowed out.
Some guys have said they welded the holes and drilled a new hole, but the new hole has to be PERFECTLY centered in the original position.