Door sagging, but can't drive in new pins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all are telling me to stick a 2x4 in the jam, jack up the door with a floor jack ... then i get the correct tool and u tell me my hinge will crack :321:

If i do have any trouble in future i'll revisit this thread.

maybe :evillol:

It really doesn't matter what tool you used, just the nature of bending metal.

It's probably ok for a good while if it's the first time.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all are telling me to stick a 2x4 in the jam, jack up the door with a floor jack ... then i get the correct tool and u tell me my hinge will crack :321:
Yup. I used the 2x4 and it worked great... for a month. I think mine was already tweaked several times. No cracks yet, but I'm not inclined to bend mine again.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dorman kits are JUNK! I refuse to use anything other than the Cunningham Machine bushings and I reuse the pin. We're doing an S10 in the shop right now.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

If i do have any trouble in future i'll revisit this thread.

maybe :evillol:
I told you that it wasn't rocket science to fit these doors and you needed to step back and look over everything again, because something isn't right.

When you have any trouble in the future, maybe I'll forget to respond. :D Clearly my advise isn't useful to you.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done plenty of these. I always get the pins and bushings from a GM dealer. Never a problem. A second set of oem stuff that lasts 20-30 years should outlast many of us. Really no need for anything fancy and no need to beat the hell out of the hinges and post scarring everything as was done here.

The fitment on a lot aftermarket pins and bushings sucks and a few thousandths at the pin/bushings = a whole lot at the back edge of the door.

Probably cracked the new bushings pounding on the pins.

Last edited:

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I told you that it wasn't rocket science to fit these doors and you needed to step back and look over everything again, because something isn't right.

When you have any trouble in the future, maybe I'll forget to respond. :D Clearly my advise isn't useful to you.

Richard
Oh right, because there is no record of successful pin and bushing replacement that results in a door that still sags.

Maybe you need to step back and do some research

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Oh right, because there is no record of successful pin and bushing replacement that results in a door that still sags.

Maybe you need to step back and do some research

This is you, right?

I cannot for the life of me fully seat these door pins. I have tried beating them in with various tools, mostly hammers with sockets & extensions but im having no luck and door is sagging again bc knurled portion of pin will not seat inside bushing. Is there a trick or a tool that may help with this? Thanks.

Cop attitude all you like, if it makes you feel better. I'm sorry you failed at a task most of us here have succeeded at more than a few times. I've literally lost count of how many GMT400 door pin jobs I've done, and I know I'm not alone in this.

So.. enjoy your failure and misplaced smugness. You sure aren't hurting my feelings any. :Big Laugh: Be sure to not let us know when the door sags again, or cracks.

Richard

1998SSLT

Reaction score
I have a sagging driver's door in a 1996 c1500. I ordered a door hinge pin kit along with a new hinge spring, and a door striker bolt. I did install the two different sized bushings in the correct places. I used white lithium grease and bushings did drive in as anticipated.

I cannot for the life of me fully seat these door pins. I have tried beating them in with various tools, mostly hammers with sockets & extensions but im having no luck and door is sagging again bc knurled portion of pin will not seat inside bushing. Is there a trick or a tool that may help with this? Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach
I saw a video the other day that stressed very much the importance of putting pin in freezer for an hour or two for ease of installation.
I have a sagging driver's door in a 1996 c1500. I ordered a door hinge pin kit along with a new hinge spring, and a door striker bolt. I did install the two different sized bushings in the correct places. I used white lithium grease and bushings did drive in as anticipated.

Try putting pins in freezer for about an hour. Watched a video on YouTube the other day they stressed this for easier installation

Motrhedx81

Reaction score
There are a couple of years on the OBS (1999 and 2000) that GM reduced the bushing sizes but left the pins the same. You can order factory replacements, or you can order the Cunningham bushings and drill the hinges out to accept the old style bushings. I'm planning on doing this to my 2000 GMC K3500, just haven't yet.