Door sagging, but can't drive in new pins!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a sagging driver's door in a 1996 c1500. I ordered a door hinge pin kit along with a new hinge spring, and a door striker bolt. I did install the two different sized bushings in the correct places. I used white lithium grease and bushings did drive in as anticipated.

I cannot for the life of me fully seat these door pins. I have tried beating them in with various tools, mostly hammers with sockets & extensions but im having no luck and door is sagging again bc knurled portion of pin will not seat inside bushing. Is there a trick or a tool that may help with this? Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me fully seat these door pins. I have tried beating them in with various tools, mostly hammers with sockets & extensions but im having no luck

Not sure how you're going to fix this but...

Don't pound on that hinge hard enough to deform it!

I'm wondering if you were supposed to drill out the top member to make room for the replacement, splined end.

I need to replace mine too, so my eye's on this thread :)

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure how you're going to fix this but...

Don't pound on that hinge hard enough to deform it!

I'm wondering if you were supposed to drill out the top member to make room for the replacement, splined end.

I need to replace mine too, so my eye's on this thread :)
interesting observation! i did notice on a 1a auto utoob video before install that they stated the bushings go on the body side of the hinge not the door, yet mine had them on both and i know they have never been messed with before. bushings would not fit in the body side of hinge, so why should knurled part of pin? my kit may be jacked

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I think they may be 2 different sizes but I'm not 100% on that. Check your door sticker too that it's not a replacement door from a newer truck. The 99s had a rolling change that the door hinge holes were different.

Gary Cookc

Reaction score
I recently ran into this same problem. Replaced a dorman pin and bushing set with a set that I bought off the internet. I noticed that the splines on the pin were deeper than the dorman pin. Dorman pin fitted fine but the new pin would not drive down. It went down far enough to get the keeper into the slot but I didn't like the fit. These pins came with steel bushings and the pins look just like yours. This was a 4 pin set. Next time I'm going back to dorman. Liked the fit better.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just took the dremel to them. It worked and they're still a tight fit. I think they are made oversized in case the hole is "wallered out" like we say in Texas.

Thanks. I ended up taking them out and filing them. They were 0.040 (may have decimal in wrong place) and brought them down to a 0.0393 and it was just enough to be able to drive them in with great force. Pins and bushings are all in super tight and it made little difference, door still sags.

I just received a Lisle 65800 in the mail today, and I'll see if i can finally get this straightened out.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I ended up taking them out and filing them. They were 0.040 (may have decimal in wrong place) and brought them down to a 0.0393 and it was just enough to be able to drive them in with great force. Pins and bushings are all in super tight and it made little difference, door still sags.

I just received a Lisle 65800 in the mail today, and I'll see if i can finally get this straightened out.
What is that Lisle 65800 supposed to do or how does it work?

Last edited: