Door sag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have rebuilt hundreds of hinges going back to the square body days. The only special tool needed is the spring compressor. You can tap the ends of the pins to get them started. I then use a Stanley Wonder Bar that I have modified by using a die grinder to make the nail slot fit the hinge pin. . Some grinding on the side of the bar to make it narrower could also help. Hit the bar with a hammer to drive the pin out, bottom pin always first. Don't use the bar as a prybar.
If the pins have the factory retainers, ignore them they will break off when you drive out the pins. With the age of these trucks, it would be best to look to see if someone rebuilt the hinge and put a tack weld at the end of the pin to keep it from walking out and grind off the tack weld. They will walk out no matter which way they are pointing, up or down.
I have a jack I made just for supporting doors so I don't unhook ay wires but you can use a floor jack, block of wood and a pad to hold the door up. It is far easier to have someone balance the door on the jack while you work. There should be enough slack in the wires to move the door out a little to give you room to work. watch that the door doesn't hit the fender.
I have had the best luck with GM bushings, the aftermarket were good years ago but now are not. You will not know which bushings you need until you get the door apart. I keep drawers full of various sizes but I suggest ordering by application and ordering extra oversized ones. You might not be able to return the ones you don't need because of GM'S return policy.
If the dealer does take them back they will probably eat them or know they can resell them.
You need to analyze every hole to see of it is round. Drill bits never make round holes, I use a couple sizes of rat tail files and clean up the holes. The hinges have stamped holes and always seem to have a bit of a rolled over edge that needs cleaning up. When you have the right size hole the bushings should be a slight press fit, I tap them in with a wooden hammer handle. If you can take them back out they are too loose. Over time you learn how to guage the tightness, if you are forcing the bushing in it will break, Learn from it and do better. You did buy extras, right? I've broke many but not lately.
If the hole is oblong or oversize you may be able to file it to fit the oversize bushing. These bushing have a "serated" edge where the touch the hinge. In severe cases I have welded the hinge hole, drilled it small and filed it to fit a standard bushing. More severe cases need a hinge replacement, which is no fun.
I check the roller with the spring out and always replace it if there is any doubt. Fix it once fix it right. I don't have a good way to restake the roller pin so I weld it to retain it.
The GM set I installed on my 89 in January had E clips to hold the pins in, I have another set I would be putting on an 88 if the virus hadn't put the project on hold. I have not looked to see what the retainers were. I have seen the round push-on factory style retainers and have even had to do tack welds like I mentioned above. If you fail to retain the pins, they will walk. The serrations under the head of the pin never seem to hold the pin in. GM added retaining clips so there must be a reason to need them.
I'm a painter so I always refinish the hinge if I welder or scratched it, you may not have the option, at least use an aerosol or brush to get some color paint over any bare metal.
Strive for perfecton, a small amount of movement at the pins becomes a lot at the back of the door. Not only will sag wear your striker and latch, it just feels and sounds bad when you close the door. I can have a nice truck and if the door sags when opened and climbs the striker when closing, it makes the truck seem like a beater. A door will never wear better, it will only get worse. The driver's door is the first and last thing you touch every time you use the truck, get it right and you will always be happy with it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt the hinges themselves are bent or sagging.
I don't. My driver's door was sagging so bad it wouldn't latch closed. I replaced the pins and bushings and it all went together nicely. When I was done I still had the same sag. Then I got my floor jack and a 2x4 and jacked the back edge of the door. I was careful and did a little bit at a time - it took me about 10 tries. My door is aligned nicely and closes easily.
I have a jack I made just for supporting doors so I don't unhook ay wires but you can use a floor jack, block of wood and a pad to hold the door up.
I'm a fan of DIY lawnmower-based tools.
View media item 32243

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't. My driver's door was sagging so bad it wouldn't latch closed. I replaced the pins and bushings and it all went together nicely. When I was done I still had the same sag. Then I got my floor jack and a 2x4 and jacked the back edge of the door. I was careful and d
That doesn't indicate that the hinges were bent, just that *something* was bent. My money is on the door shell as sheetmetal bends a lot easier than the hinges will. Bend it enough times and it will break.

Richard

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That doesn't indicate that the hinges were bent, just that *something* was bent. My money is on the door shell as sheetmetal bends a lot easier than the hinges will. Bend it enough times and it will break.

Richard

Yes, we had farm trucks and especially Topkicks that would bend the shell, we would re-align the door best as we could and they would bend them again until metal fatigue caused them to crack. I don't think I ever saw a bent hinge other than direct collision damage. Farmers leaving the door in the first catch because they were only going a little ways across the cow yard and using the doors to pull themselves into the cab were bad for the doors. An overweight Topkick driver was hard on doors and steering columns as he pulled himself up.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't. My driver's door was sagging so bad it wouldn't latch closed. I replaced the pins and bushings and it all went together nicely. When I was done I still had the same sag. Then I got my floor jack and a 2x4 and jacked the back edge of the door. I was careful and did a little bit at a time - it took me about 10 tries. My door is aligned nicely and closes easily.

I'm a fan of DIY lawnmower-based tools.
View media item 32243
I built my own version of this
https://www.collisionservices.com/product/191/automotive-equipment-tools-door-stands-tools

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the previous owner used the door to help lift himself into the cab. I'm 6', so it's not an issue for me. Permanent fix.
That tool looks nice! I didn't have a tongue jack handy, but that would be smaller than my mower-based tool.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Not sure what you’re buying, but I’d avoid the Dorman bushing kit. Two of the four cracked within two days on mine. GM parts are still available.

Agreed, I avoid Dorman anything. Rarely do I get a good product from them.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I doubt the hinges themselves are bent or sagging. In other threads we've discussed that the hole at the "small" end of the pin gets egged out, and there's no bushing there. This allows the door to sag regardless of new bushings and pins. The small end of the pin is an interference fit there.. It's at the top of the top hinge, and bottom of the bottom hinge.

Richard

Richard,
Now you got me wondering if my "fix" with oversize bushings is only temporary.....

In lieu of spot welding the small end of the pin, I was wondering if installing a bushing would also work?

Of course, it may be six of one, half dozen of the other kind of thing.

Casey

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have rebuilt hundreds of hinges going back to the square body days. The only special tool needed is the spring compressor. You can tap the ends of the pins to get them started. I then use a Stanley Wonder Bar that I have modified by using a die grinder to make the nail slot fit the hinge pin. . Some grinding on the side of the bar to make it narrower could also help. Hit the bar with a hammer to drive the pin out, bottom pin always first. Don't use the bar as a prybar.
If the pins have the factory retainers, ignore them they will break off when you drive out the pins. With the age of these trucks, it would be best to look to see if someone rebuilt the hinge and put a tack weld at the end of the pin to keep it from walking out and grind off the tack weld. They will walk out no matter which way they are pointing, up or down.
I have a jack I made just for supporting doors so I don't unhook ay wires but you can use a floor jack, block of wood and a pad to hold the door up. It is far easier to have someone balance the door on the jack while you work. There should be enough slack in the wires to move the door out a little to give you room to work. watch that the door doesn't hit the fender.
I have had the best luck with GM bushings, the aftermarket were good years ago but now are not. You will not know which bushings you need until you get the door apart. I keep drawers full of various sizes but I suggest ordering by application and ordering extra oversized ones. You might not be able to return the ones you don't need because of GM'S return policy.
If the dealer does take them back they will probably eat them or know they can resell them.
You need to analyze every hole to see of it is round. Drill bits never make round holes, I use a couple sizes of rat tail files and clean up the holes. The hinges have stamped holes and always seem to have a bit of a rolled over edge that needs cleaning up. When you have the right size hole the bushings should be a slight press fit, I tap them in with a wooden hammer handle. If you can take them back out they are too loose. Over time you learn how to guage the tightness, if you are forcing the bushing in it will break, Learn from it and do better. You did buy extras, right? I've broke many but not lately.
If the hole is oblong or oversize you may be able to file it to fit the oversize bushing. These bushing have a "serated" edge where the touch the hinge. In severe cases I have welded the hinge hole, drilled it small and filed it to fit a standard bushing. More severe cases need a hinge replacement, which is no fun.
I check the roller with the spring out and always replace it if there is any doubt. Fix it once fix it right. I don't have a good way to restake the roller pin so I weld it to retain it.
The GM set I installed on my 89 in January had E clips to hold the pins in, I have another set I would be putting on an 88 if the virus hadn't put the project on hold. I have not looked to see what the retainers were. I have seen the round push-on factory style retainers and have even had to do tack welds like I mentioned above. If you fail to retain the pins, they will walk. The serrations under the head of the pin never seem to hold the pin in. GM added retaining clips so there must be a reason to need them.
I'm a painter so I always refinish the hinge if I welder or scratched it, you may not have the option, at least use an aerosol or brush to get some color paint over any bare metal.
Strive for perfecton, a small amount of movement at the pins becomes a lot at the back of the door. Not only will sag wear your striker and latch, it just feels and sounds bad when you close the door. I can have a nice truck and if the door sags when opened and climbs the striker when closing, it makes the truck seem like a beater. A door will never wear better, it will only get worse. The driver's door is the first and last thing you touch every time you use the truck, get it right and you will always be happy with it.
Great detail in that. Awesome
The rolled edges are from the punch press.
Just about every bracket you ever see is punched and then formed on a press brake.
So, its starts out flat
When you look at any punched hole with a magnifying glass, the "punch side" is slightly rolled in and the other side, the "blowout side" is much more jagged.
The punch side is the only close to true hole size. Typically +.005, -.000
But the blowout side might be .015 or even .030
because of the die clearence
When the punch hits, it shears for roughly a third, then the tonnage spikes
and the slug breaks the rest of the material and blows out.
Called the "snap through"
But then, car parts are often design to be the same both ways.
Which means they are often formed backwards.
Happens all the friggen time.
So the bushing you thought you were pressing into the shear side, is in fact getting pressed into .030 or worse of blowout and barely if at all grips the shear.