DOOR SAG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
So with the driver or passenger side doors in know the spring, the two pins and thats about it. On the inside of the door (this is driver side door) the top bracket that is welded to the door has been wollered out. Or for better words, the top pin has mad the hole larger. the door has new pins in it now. but it still sags a little. (not as bad)
The only thing to really do to fix it that i can think of is cutting the original factory bracket from the door and welding a donor one on. Which is not going to happen. Any body had experience with good results on door sag?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard of people tack welding the hole and then re-drilling it with some success, can't remember who mentioned it. Maybe @someotherguy or @skylark?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, I've mentioned it (and done it) a few times to help worn hinges. Both upper and lower hinges can suffer this wear but the top one is where it's most apparent. The hole that doesn't have a bushing will get egg-shaped from the pin wearing on it.

Solution is to gently jack up the door to move the slack to the opposite side (block of wood under the flat part of the door shell, not the edge, obviously) and grind clean spots on the hinge and pin, helps if you remove the retainer, and tack the smallest possible amount of weld in there to hold it together. Reason I say smallest possible is now consider if/when you need to pull that pin to replace bushings again, or replace the door in the event of a crash, you have very limited room to work in there to grind out your weld.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, I've mentioned it (and done it) a few times to help worn hinges. Both upper and lower hinges can suffer this wear but the top one is where it's most apparent. The hole that doesn't have a bushing will get egg-shaped from the pin wearing on it.

Solution is to gently jack up the door to move the slack to the opposite side (block of wood under the flat part of the door shell, not the edge, obviously) and grind clean spots on the hinge and pin, helps if you remove the retainer, and tack the smallest possible amount of weld in there to hold it together. Reason I say smallest possible is now consider if/when you need to pull that pin to replace bushings again, or replace the door in the event of a crash, you have very limited room to work in there to grind out your weld.

Richard

Oh, so you're talking about actually tacking the hinge to the pin? That's an interesting approach. I was thinking just build up some material around the hole and re-drill. Your way sounds much easier and quicker, though.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, there's very little room to work so unless you have a right angle drill with a very small chuck you're going to be hard-pressed to do a good job of welding up and re-drilling, IMO. Plus you'd have to be dead-on center or you don't solve the problem and end up having to bend the door hinge area to compensate, and that strains the sheetmetal. I've seen a couple doors break the sheetmetal right by the upper hinge, again, from extreme wear/abuse..

Richard

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
Yep, there's very little room to work so unless you have a right angle drill with a very small chuck you're going to be hard-pressed to do a good job of welding up and re-drilling, IMO. Plus you'd have to be dead-on center or you don't solve the problem and end up having to bend the door hinge area to compensate, and that strains the sheetmetal. I've seen a couple doors break the sheetmetal right by the upper hinge, again, from extreme wear/abuse..

Richard

Thank you for the feedback

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
So with the driver or passenger side doors in know the spring, the two pins and thats about it. On the inside of the door (this is driver side door) the top bracket that is welded to the door has been wollered out. Or for better words, the top pin has mad the hole larger. the door has new pins in it now. but it still sags a little. (not as bad)
The only thing to really do to fix it that i can think of is cutting the original factory bracket from the door and welding a donor one on. Which is not going to happen. Any body had experience with good results on door sag?

Weld inside the hole, drill it out, then drive the bushing in, easy as that

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Changing the hinges is not all that hard ,it is just time consuming. If you use a roto broach drill to remove the spot welds the new hinge bolts up with very little issue