Door problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big nut

Reaction score
After replacing my door bushing multiple times and trying to read through different threads, I have came to ask a few of my own questions. To start off I have a 1997 gmc ext cab k1500 w/ third door, I have replaced pins and bushing on my doors multiple times with nothing really changing. The drivers door on my truck will not close without excessive slamming and I’m starting to get annoyed with it. I am wondering where to go from here. The door will close to the first click but will not get to the second click until being slammed. The door seems to be a little low on the pin but still lines up with the gap. I have also tried a few different tricks to bend the door up but they don’t seem to help. I am wondering if the latch and pin may be at fault or what you guys/gals think. Thank you for reading and responding.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pin is slightly adjustable. You need to loosen it and it will move a little bit.
If there is no movement then maybe a previous owner did something to make it un moveable but they all move a little when loosened.
Also when i say out i mean move it to the passenger side, In would be the driver side. Not forward or backward.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^When doing this, don't loosen it all the way, or the nut/flange on the other side will fall down and you will have to tear apart the interior to retrieve it

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The door will close to the first click but will not get to the second click until being slammed.
Like every daggum 90s ford truck ever…

Anyways, like stated above, the striker will move a little bit and the latch will move a little bit. Check your body mounts/bushings. if the cab is tweaked, you’re just gonna chase yourself around in a circle
Lol

I like to spray out the latch mechanisms then soak them in Marvel Mystery oil too.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The striker and b-pillar could be tweaked a little too from repeated slamming.

Is any of the rubber weather strip folded out into the door?

There’s not any aftermarket amplifier power wires run through fender into the door by the dash right?