Door panel painting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keenan

Reaction score
I am in the process of changing the color of the inside of my truck. I just couldn't tolerate the "ruby" color over everything. I am almost done, I changed the carpet, installed seats from a suburban, and have painted almost all the plastic. The one thing that gave me problems was painting the padded vinyl surface like the door panels, oh **** handle, and padded arm rests in the xtra cab. I tried 3 different paints, and they all left the surface tacky. What I found to work perfectly is duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric spray paint. I bought it at autozone. (Link to paint) dried smooth to the touch and looks factory. Just posting incase someone is looking to do the same thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I found to work perfectly is duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric spray paint.
SEM works well too. The trick is in the prep. After painting/dying use "Satin Gloss Clear". BTW I couldn't open your picks.

Keenan

Reaction score
Cool, good to know. here are the pics again, not sure what happened.

Attachments

• PXL_20210312_124615846.jpg
    PXL_20210312_124615846.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210614_005348904.jpg
    PXL_20210614_005348904.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 10

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks better in black. I did the Duplicolor on my Chevelle years ago, from green to black and it still is holding good

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
your truck looks great!

i painted my interior in 2012 using SEM colour coat and still have fantastic results. it's been 9 years and it still looks great!

some pics of when i did mine: interior painting

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just started a thread asking how to restore my red OEM floor mats when I found this thread!
Would any of the paints above work/hold up decent you think?

Attachments

• 20210701_085050.jpg
    20210701_085050.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 10

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just started a thread asking how to restore my red OEM floor mats when I found this thread!
Would any of the paints above work/hold up decent you think?

i can't say for sure, but i doubt the SEM paint i used would work becuz the mats are so "bendy" i would assume the paint would crack, flake off.

is there any product available for dyeing rubber floor mats?
...did a little googling and found this topic: dyeing rubber floor mat experiment
the guy seemed really happy with a product called rubberbond from a company called parasol.

found a link to their webpage: http://www.parasolinc.com/index.php/dyes-paint/rubber-dye-paint-rubberbond/

maybe this will work for you??

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you mean by “dyeing”? Plastics are a non-permeable material so they can’t be dyed. Do you mean paint?

bc-chris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by “dyeing”? Plastics are a non-permeable material so they can’t be dyed. Do you mean paint?

yea.... painting.
i've seen the term "dyeing" a number of times when referring to interior trim pieces, mats, etc. and never understood why it's called that... it's just the term lots of people use to refer to the process i guess.