Door hinges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99k2500crew

Reaction score
That’s where I was going to get them from. I really dread doing it!
I did my front two doors in the past year with dorman pins and bushings. The bushings are weak and dont hold up if the holes are worn. I made a tool to be able to tap in/out the parts. Its flat bar in a very tall c shape. Not hard project just need a way to support the doors. I used a low cart with scissors jack attached.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did my front two doors in the past year with dorman pins and bushings. The bushings are weak and dont hold up if the holes are worn. I made a tool to be able to tap in/out the parts. Its flat bar in a very tall c shape. Not hard project just need a way to support the doors. I used a low cart with scissors jack attached.
I done my pins and bushings but it didn’t hold up. I used dorman too.

Paul Murray

Reaction score
I'm 68, and I've had Chevies since my 1st car, a 1966 Chevy Nova coupe. A floor jack and a foot-long piece of 4 x 4 won't fix it, but it will buy you some time! Whatever "adjustment" is required, take it slow, nice and easy. To this day, I "adjust" the doors on my '74 C20 this way. It won't satisfy the purists, but it can get you by... Best always. PM

gyver

Reaction score
Lots of ways. You can ream them out for bigger bronze bushings, you can put a bronze bushing in upside down and weld it then knock the bronze out you can even make a drill jig to relocate the hole then weld it shut and redrill it.
All kinds of ways.
But first, you need to find the slop.
Just a little bit of slack at the hinge will become a lot of slop 4 feet away.
They are just a real **** design and GM stuck with it for decades.
Google "gm sagging doors"
It aint just us. Its every gm since about 1968
I have replaced mine 3 times since I bought my truck New in 98. One door now has a bushing spinning withe the door. Wish there was a permanent fix

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The door hinges are a dumb design. Any high school metal shop student would realize that it is just pathetic.
The reason behind this and many other dumb ideas is what they call " The GM Way"
One of my Exes worked for GM in Detroit.
Every function from engineering to design to accounting comes with a list of parameters that are set in stone.
So, any new idea has to fit within those rules and some of those rules date back to the 1930s.
Thats why they stuck with the same basic starter design for decades.
That is also why a 1969 GTO 400 4 speed posi or a 68 Olds 442 came with huge wheel openings and rode on 14 inch rims.
Because in the 1930s GM had a problem with tires blowing out when people hit curbs.
Some of this is to our advantage.
Sticking with the same basic engine design makes them real easy to work on and made the parts cheap and available.
A good contrast is to compare the Fords of that era.
The downside is that once they came up with a design it was just about impossible to change.
They had rules about paper, and rules about envelopes and staplers and a commitee dedicated to reviewing designs on corporate coffee cups.
My Ex was on the coffee cup board.
I still have a top secret GM coffee cup.
Its secret because when you pour coffee into it the thing heats up and shows GMs procurement flow chart for purchasing window glass and wiper blades.
People were demoted for making these.
And thats just one of the reasons GM needed a bailout.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Ex was on the coffee cup board.
I still have a top secret GM coffee cup.
Its secret because when you pour coffee into it the thing heats up and shows GMs procurement flow chart for purchasing window glass and wiper blades.
People were demoted for making these.
And thats just one of the reasons GM needed a bailout.

that's definitely a cup you don't want to break, haha.
And sadly it's multiple bailouts....

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
What year is the truck? I replaced the hinges in my 90 with the older interior and I didnt need to remove the dash. I went with LMC and I recommend getting better bolts, the ones that come with them are a nice design but WAY undersize for that heavy of a door.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
What year is the truck? I replaced the hinges in my 90 with the older interior and I didnt need to remove the dash. I went with LMC and I recommend getting better bolts, the ones that come with them are a nice design but WAY undersize for that heavy of a door.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's definitely a cup you don't want to break, haha.
And sadly it's multiple bailouts....
Yep, what the big 3 and the unions and the government did to Detroit is a national embarrasment.
And now history is repeating itself at Boeing.
The rise of the bean counters..
If you are in any management position
in manufacturing anything.
You need to go through the HR/Accounting door like Jack Nicolson in "The Shining"
Find out what the hell they are up to
Bean counters will bankrupt a rubber dog **** factory if you let em

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its a 96