Door Hinges 92 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jess t

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does one do about adjusting the fit of the doors on a 92 C1500. I know the hinges are welded on the body and the door and understand the nornal procedure is to knock the pins out and do your bodywork and paint, bush the hinges (if necessary) and put the pins back in. My question is, what if things don't fit and line up? TIA jess in ky

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What does one do about adjusting the fit of the doors on a 92 C1500. I know the hinges are welded on the body and the door and understand the nornal procedure is to knock the pins out and do your bodywork and paint, bush the hinges (if necessary) and put the pins back in. My question is, what if things don't fit and line up? TIA jess in ky
Im curious aswell. My drivers door sits level but is shifted forward. Rubs the quarter panel when opening, and bad wind noise at hwy speeds on the top forward door seal.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You very gently bend the entire door to fit. Takes some care and patience.

TSR - very much doubt your door is shifted forward. Most likely your fender is shifted rear towards the door from previous crash damage. The wind noise will either be worn or missing weatherstrip or the window frame is bent outwards from break-in (or legit unlock) attempts. You can bend it back yourself, by hand, carefully. Don't overlook the weatherstrip, though. Two pieces up there; one around the entire door opening and one above it as a rain gutter, often missing.

Richard

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You very gently bend the entire door to fit. Takes some care and patience.

TSR - very much doubt your door is shifted forward. Most likely your fender is shifted rear towards the door from previous crash damage. The wind noise will either be worn or missing weatherstrip or the window frame is bent outwards from break-in (or legit unlock) attempts. You can bend it back yourself, by hand, carefully. Don't overlook the weatherstrip, though. Two pieces up there; one around the entire door opening and one above it as a rain gutter, often missing.

Richard
The door is definitely shifted forward. Almost as if the door was slightly open and the PO backed into something. But the door has no exterior damage, nor the hinges. Almost like the hinges are bent forward. There is a substanial gap, about 1/4", between the door and the cab by the door handle. No slop or play in the hinges either, or door latching issues.

Sorry OP for high-jacking!!!!!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubs the quarter panel when opening, and bad wind noise at hwy speeds on the top forward door seal.
Here's some discussion on how to reduce wind noise, I finally went with weatherstripping which worked well and, after a couple months it closes easier. Still good after 1-1/2 years. HTH

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's some discussion on how to reduce wind noise, I finally went with weatherstripping which worked well and, after a couple months it closes easier. Still good after 1-1/2 years. HTH
Thanks, but to me that just a bandaid for what im looking for. I guess my first thing to do is change out the pins, bushings, and strikers. They are ROUGH shape. No door slop but both strikers on each side were broke off and the pins are pretty crusty.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
The proper procedure is to drill the welds out with a Roto-broach drill and replace the hinges. GM had a TSB on this years ago when the GMT 400 first came out. There were issues with the hinges working loose if I recall correctly.
I know that I had to replace 2 hinges on my '88 K3500 as it was an early run of the first model year and they started to pull loose from the cab. In all of the years that I worked at dealerships i only remember replacing a hand full of the hinges.
I still have the roto-broach drill in my tool box:head3:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that I had to replace 2 hinges on my '88 K3500 as it was an early run of the first model year and they started to pull loose from the cab
Wow, I was under the impression the HD trucks were still square bodies in 88? Maybe I'm confusing them with the Suburbans which I thought went to 91?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Wow, I was under the impression the HD trucks were still square bodies in 88? Maybe I'm confusing them with the Suburbans which I thought went to 91?
Cab and chassis and Suburban's were still old style square bodies until '91, maybe '92 depending on the chassis. After 1988 the square bodies were referred to as R/V models. In 1988 the GMT400 took over the C/K designation .