Door Handle and Door Pin Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think we have orilleys down here, and I've had so many told from harbor freight that break after one or two uses, I didn't even bother checking there. Lol

Reaction score
Did any of you guys replace the rod that connects the inside handle to the latch? i remember reading somewhere that someone said they replaced their rod because they had stretched out? I have the handles and i was going to replace them on christmas but if i am going to replace the rods it will have to wait another week or so. I would really hate to get everything back together and the door still wont open because i didnt replace the $8 part. but i also dont want to spend $16+shipping if i dont have to..

Thanks

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Good write up, have a question though....will be doing mine soon

Has anyone done the hinge pin replacement without totally removing the door?. What I mean is, remove one pin at a time, move the hinge enough to get at the bushings and then do the other one?...Just wondering

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some of the bushings are held captive in position with the hinge assembled, so you have to separate the hinge halves to get the bushing out/in. The halves are welded to the body and the door, respectively. You -might- be able to do it the way you're describing but it's really not that big of a deal to do it right...no need to make more work for yourself trying to get around it.

I like doing this job with the door suspended from an engine hoist, then I can lower the door down on the legs of the hoist, protecting the paint/bottom edge with a folded-up moving blanket. Easy to move it away from the truck and get everything done.

Richard

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I like doing this job with the door suspended from an engine hoist, then I can lower the door down on the legs of the hoist, protecting the paint/bottom edge with a folded-up moving blanket. Easy to move it away from the truck and get everything done.

Richard

Good idea, never thought of the engine hoist....thanks

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A strap, a thick towel folded up to prevent damage, and go towards the front. This pretty much balances out a fully loaded door.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I use a pair of waterpump pliers and a socket, squeeze the handles to push in the bushing. I also like to use red loctite ( 277 ) to keep the bushings from starting to move in the holes.

I should add: the socket should be large enough for the bushing to press into, IE: on the other side of the hinge. A short socket works best.