Door Handle and Door Pin Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet. I installed mine last week. So far so good. The door closes so well.

Had two bent rollers:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is what I installed:
You must be registered for see images attach

Question: I also replaced my drivers side exterior door handle. After doing the swap my door still closes but now it is not tight to the striker. You can push on the door like an 1/8" or so. Also when driving now you can hear the door rattle slightly when going slowly over the road. As part of the handle replacement I loosened the latch in the door. Can that change the closing of the door? I tried adjusting that latch afterwards but it seems like the screw holes are basically 1 position only.
I have a 93 suburban so don’t know if door latch is same. On mine, it’s not adjustable and I had same “play” when closed. It was the rubber door seal. Seals provide the pressure to push out against the latch. Old one was compressed. Replaced it and it fixed it. FYI- door seal was pain to replace

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, x2 on door seals. I will look at mine. I replaced my outside mirror as well as the door handle. Maybe I bumped the gaskets while working in the mirror.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couldn't find anything wrong with the door seals. I kept looking at the latch in the door as well but as discussed it doesn't have any adjustment. So tonight I loosened the striker and pushed it in towards the interior. Not sure why I had to mess with it since it had nothing to do with my exterior handle replacement but what ever, it worked! Door closes all the way now. Thanks for the help y'all :)

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question on replacing the outer, driver's door handle (97 Tahoe).
First time I did one of these I followed a video which has you pretty much dismantle the door!
I have not tried the steps outlined in the first few posts on this thread but seems much simpler. Any idea why all videos on this seem to have you do a major dismantle of the door rather than the steps outlined here? Is there something I am missing?!
The method shown here seems simpler.

Just curious before I get started on the 97 Truck.

NorthState

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question on replacing the outer, driver's door handle (97 Tahoe).
First time I did one of these I followed a video which has you pretty much dismantle the door!
I have not tried the steps outlined in the first few posts on this thread but seems much simpler. Any idea why all videos on this seem to have you do a major dismantle of the door rather than the steps outlined here? Is there something I am missing?!
The method shown here seems simpler.

Just curious before I get started on the 97 Truck.
Whirlybird, I’ve done it both ways. I can attest to the videos floating around that show the two 10mm bolts removed and the three torx screws that hold in the latch mechanism. This will free up the outer handle enough to expose the detent below the lock cylinder. That’s what holds up the handle from coming out. Once you release it, the handle pops right out, leaving the lock cylinder still attached to the linkage. You have to be good with your hands to start the cylinder back in the housing, but once I got it started, I was able to use a long flat screw driver to push it back into the handle until the detent clicks. Taking the door apart is DEFINITELY harder imho.