Door breakdown tips/ to-do’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shinewagon

Reaction score
I’m sure this has been posted in the past, but after a search I’ll play the new guy card. I’m breaking down my doors soon to replace both interior and exterior door handles, speakers upgrade and a power window switch replacement. Any good tips for this project? Anything I should be sure to check or do maintenance on while it’s apart?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year?

My biggest tip would be to spend a full day on each door. Lube the latch and lock assembly. Pull the power lock actuator and clean or replace it. If your lock cylinders are bad, take the opportunity to replace them. Replace your weatherstripping. Replace the window wiper strip. Replace the wiper strip that mounts on the door panel. If you're dynomatting your interior, do the backside of the door skin. Replace your hinge pins. Replace your door handles. If your power window regulator is loose, replace it. Fix any mirror issues. Adjust your door striker to align the door with the body lines. Clean up any rust. Repaint the door panel with vinyl paint. Check the door wiring all the way into your dash to make sure a previous owner didn't use wire nuts to fix the door wiring.

Buy these clips, because the factory ones will breaks. They sell a smaller bag of 25, and I'll tell you it's not enough. I took off my door panel again and I had to buy a second bag.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRFL8QHH

Shinewagon

Reaction score
What year?

My biggest tip would be to spend a full day on each door. Lube the latch and lock assembly. Pull the power lock actuator and clean or replace it. If your lock cylinders are bad, take the opportunity to replace them. Replace your weatherstripping. Replace the window wiper strip. Replace the wiper strip that mounts on the door panel. If you're dynomatting your interior, do the backside of the door skin. Replace your hinge pins. Replace your door handles. If your power window regulator is loose, replace it. Fix any mirror issues. Adjust your door striker to align the door with the body lines. Clean up any rust. Repaint the door panel with vinyl paint. Check the door wiring all the way into your dash to make sure a previous owner didn't use wire nuts to fix the door wiring.

Buy these clips, because the factory ones will breaks. They sell a smaller bag of 25, and I'll tell you it's not enough. I took off my door panel again and I had to buy a second bag.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRFL8QHH
Oh shoot, I thought I included it.. ‘98 SLT. This is the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks