Door bent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The drivers side door on my truck is bent out towards the top pretty much around where the window track is. I think it was caused by years of having bad door bushings a PO's not replacing them. It is bent bad enough I can almost stick my finger though from the inside with the door shut In the past Ive put a 2x4 on the bottom side of the door and pushed it shut and straightened them that way but I don't think I have enough lead in my butt anymore to do it. I have attached a photo so you guys have a idea of what im working with.

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If new hinge bushings don’t straighten it out, see if the holes in the hinges have been deformed (not round or “wallered” out if that makes sense). If read where some repair it with a weld stitch to try to restore it to round.

Unfortunately, the hinges were welded on at the factory, but they do make bolt-on replacements that may take some time to get aligned just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The replacement bushings helped some but i think the holes are wallered out and that is part of the problem. I think it got bent outward with due to the way it had to be shut. You had to push up on the window frame while slaming it shut. i think over time it just got to the point it bent it. I have another issue with the area around the striker starting to spider web crack away from it that im going to get a estimate on to get fixed. I dont really want to put much more money into to this thing right now but it is annoying hearing the door rattle around and the wind blowinging through the gap.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do the body lines line up with the door shut? is there still up and down play in the hinges when you lift on the rear of the door? does the door still have to go up to latch? all things that need to be corrected before bending the door. The door should close with good body lines with the striker removed. Then if the top still sticks out roll down the window and push in on the top of the door with a thick block of wood in the area of the striker holding it it open a few inches.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it doesn't have to go up anymore to latch. It does move up and down when you lift the back of the door some. the body lines are slighly off. I know i need to get the bushing problem fixed before i tackle the bending of the door. Im just looking for suggestions on how to straighten it out after I get the rest fixed.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the metal around the striker is already torn, you might as well have the body shop give an estimate for new hinges if they are bent and the holes elongated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine used to do the same thing. I asked a local body shop, and they said you put the window down, and put your knee on the door at the bottom of the window frame where is meets the door frame, and pull the top corner of the window frame inward. You are just bending it back into place. I know this is kind of cave man, but it does work. I did mine a long time ago, and as you can see, mine is straight.
You must be registered for see images attach