Don’t seem to be getting fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SHC286

Reaction score
98 Silverado, 5.7 Liter, 226K miles, bone stock.

Of course my mind jumps straight to the fuel pump, because I know how notorious they are in these trucks.

I can’t hear ****, thanks to multiple visits to the sandbox and I don’t have access to a scanner.

How can I diagnose this so I don’t just end up throwing money at one part after another?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it cranks but won’t start, right?

When you first turn the key on, do you hear the pump prime?

If so, grab a pressure gauge and check for pressure. Spec is 60-66 psi with key on, engine off. Parts stores probably rent them. Harbor Freight sells one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHC286

Reaction score
I’ll have to get my wife out to listen for it whenever it stops raining. If it ever stops raining. I’m starting to wonder.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems to either be rain or a tornado and not much in between over here (Mississippi).

Check back in if you have any questions, I’m sure that someone can help you get it sorted out.

SHC286

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’m definitely trying to avoid throwing money at the wrong problems. Been down that road before. It ends with heartbreak and an empty bank account.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had similar problem on my 1998 C1500 5.7 ext cab. It turned out to be a bad module on the GM VATS, Passkey and Passlock security system.

SHC286

Reaction score
I picked up a pressure tester on my way home from work. I had to get under the truck to listen, but was able to hear the pump whirring. Got somewhere around 62-63 pounds on the gauge, almost dead in the middle of what the specs call for.

I’ll be checking fuses soon. Thankfully this isn’t my primary vehicle, so I can totally afford to take a shower and veg out in front of the tv this evening. I have other stresses that are driving me crazy, but that’s too long a story and it ain’t the time or place.

Jay, can you go into a little more detail about your problem with the security system and how you fixed it? The previous owner had gotten into the steering column at some point, left it all zip tied back together.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 C1500 5.7 ext cab with 4l60e.

Attempted to start and engine would turn over and act like it was going to start. It would make a huffing noise and shut off.

I replaced the top mount ignition parts (ignition control module, heat sink for icm and ignition coil) and still had the same problem. Shop diagnosed it was a defective Passlock VATS security module ACDelco 19352768, but they have been discontinued by GM. I bought a reman one one on eBay, and it was installed by the shop. Fixed the problem.

FYI, the eBay seller was Pro-Rebuild phone 573-340-3776. Cost $150.