Dome Light not working when opening door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thechevyman95

Reaction score
Ive been trying to fix this problem for a while now and cannot come to a conclusion. In my 97 k1500, the dome light works when i turn it on with the switch, however it will not activate with the opening and closing of the doors. I tried it with the dome over ride button pressed in and out, nothing. I know there is a fuse that controls this, but which one is it? I was thinking fuse #3 (CTSY) for Courtesy, but that was good. Then i thought door jamb switches. I took the passenger side out and connected the wires, nothing. Did the same with the drivers side and still nothing. Where do i go from here? Is there anything im not trying?

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may have to replace the door jamb switches. They're not expensive.
But FYI, I replaced my driver's side about 2 months ago because it failed and now my passenger side one is failing.
Another, more obvious FYI, when the dome override button is pressed in, it will keep the interior lights from coming on.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your dome light switch brakes the contact on the - Negative side of the circuit, not the + positive side. It sounds like you have a broken connection on the side supplying the door switches. If you put a new ground wire there that should fix your problem. A ground to the metal anywhere on the truck should be fine. If you put the new ground wire on the wrong side of the switch, then it won't turn off when the switch is pushed in. If this happens just put it on the other wire. I would solder the connection, that way it will never come loose.

thechevyman95

Reaction score
Yeah thats what im thinking, however, with the switch out i connect the leads with a wire and still nothing happens. And the dome override button is out. Im not sure man

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
are you connecting the wire to a good ground ? I would try straight off of the battery. Remember the negative side not the positive side. Do you have an ohm meter ? if so you can check to see if the wires are getting a ground. Or you could hook up a test light backwords. Put the clip on a wire coming off of the battery positive side and when it gets a ground on the probe, it will light up.

thechevyman95

Reaction score
Thanks for the info @kennythewelder, Ill have to try that out tomorrow, that seems to be my last resort is to look for broken wires or a bad ground.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No problem. Post or pm me and let me know how it goes.