Doing both rear U-joints tomorrow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the press. The quality is decent as HF tools go. I plan to use it again for ball joints. Alternatively, you can rent a similar tool from your local parts store. I think Oreilly charges $135 and then gives you a full refund if you return it within 48 hours.
Ah one of those presses. I was thinking a floorstanding press or something. Yeah my local autoparts store rents those out.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I usually cut the center out with a torch and drive the caps in to remove them, then take a small hammer and brass rod and put them all back together. I have a 20 ton press but if everything isn't just right you bend/break things.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
This is the press. The quality is decent as HF tools go. I plan to use it again for ball joints. Alternatively, you can rent a similar tool from your local parts store. I think Oreilly charges $135 and then gives you a full refund if you return it within 48 hours.

That's what i used on mine. After melting out the factory retainers I still had to crank it pretty hard and the rest of the retainer finally sheared. But I also have one of those factory u-joint tools to press on the Ujoint shoulders which also makes it very easy to transfer the press load and not driving on the caps. Got lucky getting that tool as someones throw away item.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just use a BFH. Now would be an excellent time to drain and refill the t case fluid that is probably original.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
T-case fluid will have to wait but it is definately on my to-do list. I am going to do the front two u-joints along with t-case and front axle fluid.

I would tell anyone thinking about doing this project to just go ahead and do the t-case or trans output seal. It was $15 and took all of three minutes.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The C clamp style press mounted in a vise is the easiest way to change the U joint. Use a lot of lube on the threads of the press or they will gall, especially cheapo presses. I would inspect the thread and run them full in and out before leaving the store with a rental.
I also have a hydraulic Cclamp style but prefer the manual thread with an impact.
H frame presses work but is harder and can have too much power if you are not careful.
I do not heat them, a good press will press the joint out with the plastic in it.
The critical part is to keep the needles in place, a little harder to do when hammering them in.