Does a frame-off restoration (removal of the cab, specifically) require the floor-mounted 4wd selector to be removed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I hope this the right section for this thread.
I’m removing the ext cab on my ‘93 k3500. I was busy loosening the 4wd selector to ensure that there is nothing in the form of a linkage holding the transfer case to the cab.
Can anyone clarify this, as i’m having trouble disconnecting the selector mechanism.
The bolts don’t have enough space in the recess in the cab that the whole mechanism is situated in to back out fully.
I’m now uncertain as to whether they have be removed at all.
Kind regards,
M

Last edited:

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There will a short-ish rod between the shift lever and the transfer case, so yes it will have to be removed to take the cab off.
Even when shifting the lever into the “4hi” position, allowing for maximum clearance the bolt won’t come out of the rod let alone the mechanism. I’ll follow up with an image to clarify.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it pops off. It's been a bit since I removed the drivetrain from the donor truck i have, but wanna say the linkage snaps into the lever. But I can't remember what I did yesterday..
There's a bit attached with a pin & safety wire, I think this way would require moving the bracket in which the lever slides back and forth. Will take a good look tomorrow and take photos if I can't figure it out.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m at wits end, releasing the safety wires allows removal of the lever but the horizontal rod still stays in place, presumably sticking through the cab into the diff, am I wrong in my assumption?
Does the rod simply slide off of a snout protruding out of the diff?
Any and all help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 5B2C5EF5-F195-4CA9-B318-55D22553A8B9.jpeg
    5B2C5EF5-F195-4CA9-B318-55D22553A8B9.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 15ABAB21-0A93-4772-91AF-1CF6DCA0770D.jpeg
    15ABAB21-0A93-4772-91AF-1CF6DCA0770D.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 22

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's why it's called a frame off. Everything comes off of the frame. Cab, extra, untill you are left with a bare frame. The frame is them striped down to bare metal, the primed and repainted. You can do a frame on restoration without removing the cab, but this is less complete, and you can not do every inch of the frame. Just before I had my truck repainted in 2013, I got under the truck, with a wire brush, and scrubbed, and cleaned everything I could reach. I then coated the frame with some undercoating. Keep in mind that it almost never snows where I live. I am about 35 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, so salt air is not an issue either. Frames here, tend to last a very long time. Never a salt covered road here. Just mud, dirt, and road grim. A frame off restoration will put the truck back to it's original show room finish, just like the day it was new, when done properly, but it is expensive.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's why it's called a frame off. Everything comes off of the frame. Cab, extra, untill you are left with a bare frame. The frame is them striped down to bare metal, the primed and repainted. You can do a frame on restoration without removing the cab, but this is less complete, and you can not do every inch of the frame. Just before I had my truck repainted in 2013, I got under the truck, with a wire brush, and scrubbed, and cleaned everything I could reach. I then coated the frame with some undercoating. Keep in mind that it almost never snows where I live. I am about 35 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, so salt air is not an issue either. Frames here, tend to last a very long time. Never a salt covered road here. Just mud, dirt, and road grim. A frame off restoration will put the truck back to it's original show room finish, just like the day it was new, when done properly, but it is expensive.
Thanks for chiming in, have you taken a look at the photos? I’ve seen plenty of example of people lifting ext cabs with engine hoists, they’ve all been 2wd drive though. None of them having the floor mounted 4wd selector.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you get underneath the truck and look up at the bottom of the shift lever you will see the linkage that people are mentioning.

Random internet image, (this may not be your exact tcase model), take that rod off the bottom of your interior's shift knob.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in, have you taken a look at the photos? I’ve seen plenty of example of people lifting ext cabs with engine hoists, they’ve all been 2wd drive though. None of them having the floor mounted 4wd selector.
I have a 2WD, and have never tried to pull off the body, or even the bed. I see what your talking about, but I personally don't know how to remove that gear selector. I'm sure there is a way, but I, myself, don't know what that is. You haven't found any videos on YouTube? I do know this though, some how, some way, it is removable. Sorry, I'm not anymore help than that.