Does 2500 Suburban Feel Heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXFJ60

Reaction score
I grew up with GMT800 2500 Suburbans and trucks and we currently have a GMT900 2500 Suburban. The GMT900 feels huge and heavy. More so than my dad’s GMT800.

I’m in the market for a GMT400 Suburban as our family camping rig. Nothing more than mild off road - no rock crawling. I will rarely tow, and when I do it probably won’t be more than 5,000 lbs. Do the 1500 Suburbans “feel” signicantly lighter and more maneuverable than the 2500s? If they feel the same, I’d rather get the 2500 with heavier duty components.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by feeling heavy. Maybe steering feedback or braking? I don't have burbs but between my LD c2500 and the HD K2500s there is not a huge difference in driving. Others have commented on the 1/2 tons needing brake upgrades. For what you are describing a 1500 or 2500 should work well. The GMT400 I believe is slightly smaller dimension wise and you probably sit a little lower at least in a GMT400 half ton. The only GMT900 I have to compare to is my father's ECSB 2500hd. That thing feels like a semi when driving compared to the older trucks due to the higher sitting position and huge hood. It does ride and handle very well for such a large vehicle however.

TXFJ60

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by feeling heavy. Maybe steering feedback or braking? I don't have burbs but between my LD c2500 and the HD K2500s there is not a huge difference in driving. Others have commented on the 1/2 tons needing brake upgrades. For what you are describing a 1500 or 2500 should work well. The GMT400 I believe is slightly smaller dimension wise and you probably sit a little lower at least in a GMT400 half ton. The only GMT900 I have to compare to is my father's ECSB 2500hd. That thing feels like a semi when driving compared to the older trucks due to the higher sitting position and huge hood. It does ride and handle very well for such a large vehicle however.

Our 2008 Suburban 2500 seems to have a lot more body roll. More pucker-factor when you have to brake hard. Going over bumps it feels rough. I drive a 2002 CCSB duramax and it feels much better than the Suburban.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a C2500 Suburban - but no experience of a 1500. What I've picked up on from this forum is that the 2500s aren't as smooth riding (until loaded at the rear) due to heavier duty rear springs. Others can give more info, but it's that that has struck me after a few years here on this forum.
At no point though have I ever wished mine was a 1500. Nothing against 1500s - I've no experience of them - but the horror stories around 4L60s when the 4L80 is regarded as bombproof is enough for me to be happy with a 2500.
Welcome to the forum BTW - you're in a fine place here.

TXFJ60

Reaction score
I have a C2500 Suburban - but no experience of a 1500. What I've picked up on from this forum is that the 2500s aren't as smooth riding (until loaded at the rear) due to heavier duty rear springs. Others can give more info, but it's that that has struck me after a few years here on this forum.
At no point though have I ever wished mine was a 1500. Nothing against 1500s - I've no experience of them - but the horror stories around 4L60s when the 4L80 is regarded as bombproof is enough for me to be happy with a 2500.
Welcome to the forum BTW - you're in a fine place here.

Good to know. That can be fixed with different springs or removing a leaf or 2. I would definitely rather have the 4L80.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
A 1500 Burb will have better brakes and an extra leaf in the rear springs than a 1500 pickup (2wd or 4wd makes no difference on this). After driving our 1 ton crew cab long bed, especially with the tires aired up for traveling loaded, my 1500 Burb feels like a car! The tires probably need a little more air in them on the Burb, and P rated tires vs. LT rated ten plys makes a big difference too!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your trying to compare apples and oranges, different platforms, different springs, shocks, different suspension tuning. It's a people, luggage hauler. Not a rock crawler.

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When i put in a 9.25 ifs on my k1500.even without cv's you could definitely feel the difference from weight,and i am also running k3500 torsion bars.before i converted to 9.25 i also changed the rear but didn't feel any real handling difference 10bolt to 14bff mabye just better weight distribution (standstill in mud with the 10bolt in 2wd you can tell your front heavy)

The k2500 is always going to "feel heavier" but it comes with bigger brakes,hd torsion bars,hd springs,8 lug,hydroboost,4l80,14bff and a 9.25 ifs that can run a locker

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know. That can be fixed with different springs or removing a leaf or 2. I would definitely rather have the 4L80.
I don't know - others can better advise. But, mine isn't so bad riding that changing the springs has ever crossed my mind. I do have a 120 litre LPG (propane) tank which weighs around 220 lbs when full directly above the rear axle and frequently carry 150 lbs or so in the rearmost part of the cargo bay and run with a quarter tank of gasoline - not huge weights but maybe enough to tame it a touch. It's more the front that's obvious - more heard than felt though.
Even if I rode in a 1500 and found it more comfortable, all the other stuff (as mentioned in post # 8) would still swing it toward the 2500 for me I think.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't drive it like you stole it and the 4L60 should be fine. My '99 K1500 Suburban drove very nice and cushy, but compared to my other vehicles it felt slow and heavy.

That said, I'd probably look for a 2500 instead. Just make sure it has a 4L80.