Do we even call this a build thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had 2 basic 88/89 trucks. Think only options were 1 ton, 454/auto. One had aftermarket a/c, like a dumbass I took it off. From what I remember was all there. Ran good tho, did a SAS on it, even with 3.73s and 40" boggers it would still lite the tires up lol. But many turcks back then were plane jane on purpose, many didn't want a hi frills truck. One job I worked at was even more basic I think, had an AM radio and 5-speed...

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It's my understanding that at one time GM was shipping trucks without bumpers.... my dad's old 90 GMC was like that. The dealer put a Fey bumper on it, before the sale.... the bumper rusted terribly too.
Yes back in the day my family had an independent auto parts store, we had 2 GMC pickups for delivery trucks,a 78 350 and an 81 350,both long beds. The 78 didn't come with a rear bumper (the license plate was bolted to the end of the frame horn) and the 81 had an aftermarket painted step bumper. I remember seeing lots of these in the 70s and 80s; they often had the dealer's name and city engraved on them. There was a dealer in a then-small northwest suburb of Houston called "Ford's Chevy Service ".....that was always amusing to see on a truck's butt.....

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, nothing at all accomplished this week except for about $700 worth of parts ordered.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Parts are starting to show up. I’m hoping to have motor and transmission out this weekend for motor tear down, I figure I have plenty enough room I can pull them as a unit and stab them as a unit. Engine levelers are a beautiful thing.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The weather outside currently sucks (mid 40s and raining so not going to get to do much on the truck this weekend. But I am going to get the TBI torn down and soaking in chem dip

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should’ve took before and after pics but I got to going and slap forgot. Throttle body should be a good reference to what I started at though. Doing ultimate mods and rebuilding it today, well, sorta. The package that I thought was a silver fuel pressure regulator spring was an EGR block off plate so I can’t completely reassemble today. And as always, Berrymans chem dip never disappoints. Literally soak it for a half hour and spend 5 minutes with a wire brush and stuff looks near new. Now on to some more throttle body grinding...

You must be registered for see images attach

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And 1 sorta rebuilt TBI complete with ultimate mods and a CFM tech pod spacer. Pod cover and FPR are literally finger right with the gaskets in there but not compressed as I am trying not to lose things.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And just for grins I decided to test fit my air cleaner. And it’s a good thing I did. I’m going to need a taller filter. Apparently 14x3 is going to be too short to work with the stud. I ought to be able to get a 14x4 K&N on there though. I also need to get a new wing but and washer.