Do i have an oddball or a replacement engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The blocks are the same, just the oil adaptors are different. I'm not sure you can use a 2wd adaptor, I wanna say the driveshaft is smack dab right in the f'n way.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the age your truck the most likely scenario is at some point they replaced the engine with a " take out " of a " C " series , two wheel drive, with the vertical mounted ( up and down) . So call it get done now, oversight,or just being lazy they bother to swap over the " K " or 4X4 oil filter adapter. The " C " series two wheel drive uses the what was known as the standard small block filter. The old number was PH25 acdelco.
Wanna a secret....the PH35 was same base but half again longer=more filter area. Then the PH45 was another half longer= even more filter area.
We used these taller longer filters often in work trucks and farm engines.
And you could get the same base in a short filter like 4 inches, don't recall the number though.
A lot of WAG, but the answer is probably simple, " too lazy " or " ah scXXX it , just drop it in"
Good luck.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the age your truck the most likely scenario is at some point they replaced the engine with a " take out " of a " C " series , two wheel drive, with the vertical mounted ( up and down) . So call it get done now, oversight,or just being lazy they bother to swap over the " K " or 4X4 oil filter adapter. The " C " series two wheel drive uses the what was known as the standard small block filter. The old number was PH25 acdelco.
Wanna a secret....the PH35 was same base but half again longer=more filter area. Then the PH45 was another half longer= even more filter area.
We used these taller longer filters often in work trucks and farm engines.
And you could get the same base in a short filter like 4 inches, don't recall the number though.
A lot of WAG, but the answer is probably simple, " too lazy " or " ah scXXX it , just drop it in"
Good luck.

Before my Express had headers or the factory oil cooler, I ran the PF932 or equivalent filter on it. It is the 2qt medium duty truck filter. Bottom of the filter sits even with the bottom of the stock oil pan. I ran the same filter on my G20 van and my 99 2wd Tahoe. I run them on small blocks that do not have a clearance issue for additional oil capacity and better filtration. With 2x the filter media surface area the bypass valve does not bypass as much. Bypass open = unfiltered oil circulating. The 2 qt filter gives a 6 qt capacity with the typical 4 qt pan and 7 qts with the OEM 5 qt pan.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The K1500 adapter is more external, is angled and has oil cooler line provisions...
K1500
You must be registered for see images attach
Not all of the angled "K1500" adapters have oil cooler fittings. Some are the same basic casting, but not drilled/tapped for the cooler provisions.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As mentioned it’s either out of a car or 2wd truck, or as is also common to eliminate the oil cooler lines you swap the oil filter adapter to the traditional vertical mount. (Melling number mf350) and you use a 51069 filter.

The 51069 is the shortest version of the smallblock filter, and will clear the drive shaft and is what is typically listed for the car applications.

The 51060 is the normal 2wd truck filter and is taller and will not clear the driveshaft. Also as mentioned you can use the medium duty truck filter on a 2wd application and nearly double the the filter media.

That adapter exists so the 4x4 trucks could have the option of oil cooler lines, as even with that short 51069 a vertical mount oil cooler/filter combo would not clear the driveshaft.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Before my Express had headers or the factory oil cooler, I ran the PF932 or equivalent filter on it. It is the 2qt medium duty truck filter. Bottom of the filter sits even with the bottom of the stock oil pan. I ran the same filter on my G20 van and my 99 2wd Tahoe. I run them on small blocks that do not have a clearance issue for additional oil capacity and better filtration. With 2x the filter media surface area the bypass valve does not bypass as much. Bypass open = unfiltered oil circulating. The 2 qt filter gives a 6 qt capacity with the typical 4 qt pan and 7 qts with the OEM 5 qt pan.
Yes we used to run the PF932(formerly PF832) commercial filter on our square body trucks. All our trucks have been 2wd except for the '06 Denali. It doe just clear the bottom of the 350 pan, but you need a strap type wrench instead of the cup style one, because the long filter has no flats on it. I think that may be part of the update and number change or just consolidation on GM's part. The last place I found them was PepBoys in the Purolator equivalent.
I ran the PF35 on our first Vortec and it seemed like it wasn't sealing properly; the filter was very oily and the level kept going down. So I started using the PF1218 (which probably is correct for the 4wd models, but comes up for both types) and no more leaks. All my trucks are 5.7 Vortecs with the factory oil cooler and towing package. And I just got a bunch of PF1218s on sale from Rock Auto so I will be using them for a while!