Do i have an oddball or a replacement engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mvfd5111

Reaction score
:hmm: I never knew they made 2wd motors versus 4wd.
I would not have guessed that either. However, a 2wd and 4wd of the same truck shows different oil filters. The 4wd filter did not fit my engine. I have some more investigating to do. It makes sense that the motor has been replaced though. The truck has 190,000 miles on it and the engine is really solid. I have had it about a week. I have no idea when the last oil change was so I changed it yesterday. Right at 5 quarts drained out so no usage (that I suspect). I hooked a vacuum gauge to it and it maintains 20mm hg at all rpm ranges. Seems healthy for the little bit of testing I did.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Mark IV 454 (4x4) uses the same big one as 2wd trucks but I’ve seen some of the later trucks with the short filters. To me they seem like the same thread just shorter.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I would not have guessed that either. However, a 2wd and 4wd of the same truck shows different oil filters. The 4wd filter did not fit my engine. I have some more investigating to do. It makes sense that the motor has been replaced though. The truck has 190,000 miles on it and the engine is really solid. I have had it about a week. I have no idea when the last oil change was so I changed it yesterday. Right at 5 quarts drained out so no usage (that I suspect). I hooked a vacuum gauge to it and it maintains 20mm hg at all rpm ranges. Seems healthy for the little bit of testing I did.
I'm curious myself. The last 2WD truck I had was in the early '80s, and there was no difference as I recall.

Just a bit of trivia, and it has no bearing on this subject, but older (pre-99) Harley engines and the newer ones use different oil filters. They look 'almost' identical, same dimensions, and the same thread (the new one has a bypass valve), but have different media within, 10 microns v. 30 microns. The old oil pumps are low-pressure high volume, and the new pumps are higher pressure. The old bikes won't pump through the newer media...Boom. I use Wix and have to keep track during my oil changes. Three old bikes and one new one. I've seen too many folks starve their motors because of this.

Maybe the differential is tight down under there?

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I'm curious myself. The last 2WD truck I had was in the early '80s, and there was no difference as I recall.

Just a bit of trivia, and it has no bearing on this subject, but older (pre-99) Harley engines and the newer ones use different oil filters. They look 'almost' identical, same dimensions, and the same thread (the new one has a bypass valve), but have different media within, 10 microns v. 30 microns. The old oil pumps are low-pressure high volume, and the new pumps are higher pressure. The old bikes won't pump through the newer media...Boom. I use Wix and have to keep track during my oil changes. Three old bikes and one new one. I've seen too many folks starve their motors because of this.

Think it is for deiveshaft clearance but doesn't seem like it needs that much with IFS. I think on the squarebodies it wasn't an issue as the front deiveshaft was on passenger side.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just meant someone got lazy n in a hurry, grabbed motor from a c1500 n didn't bother with the oil filter adapter piece that the 4wds have. Was early n caveman brain no worky to 'splain.
I knew what ya meant. :) On a 4WD there's the offset oil cooler adapter with the small filter; on a 2WD it's straight down oil cooler adapter and uses a large filter. The engine may be original but for some reason the adapter was possibly removed? Oh, ya know, leaking lines they got sick of messing with? Or like you're wondering, possibly a replacement engine from a 2WD truck with the other adapter.

Do Evo's use spin-on filters? I've only ever owned Shovels with the drop-in cartridge filter that goes in the oil tank. So the filter difference where they look the same but have different media, that's what, an Evo vs. Twin Cam thing?

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew what he meant too. Just sounded funny - 2wd and 4wd engines.
You must be registered for see images attach

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I knew what ya meant. :) On a 4WD there's the offset oil cooler adapter with the small filter; on a 2WD it's straight down oil cooler adapter and uses a large filter. The engine may be original but for some reason the adapter was possibly removed? Oh, ya know, leaking lines they got sick of messing with? Or like you're wondering, possibly a replacement engine from a 2WD truck with the other adapter.

Do Evo's use spin-on filters? I've only ever owned Shovels with the drop-in cartridge filter that goes in the oil tank. So the filter difference where they look the same but have different media, that's what, an Evo vs. Twin Cam thing?

Richard
Yes sir, indeed. My '84 Softail was the first evo and spin-on from HD. My shovel still has the drop-in, but better than the old ones. Twinkies have small media filters. I'm just glad all my bikes use the same oil, lol...Brad Penn for 30 years. That reminds me, I have to do a fluid change on my TC.