Do I have a 4/6 or a 5/7 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SVT

Reaction score
I picked up a 93 Silverado about a year ago, but unfortunately it didn't come with any receipts or records. I'm looking to do two things: 1) identify what drop the truck currently has (just so I know), and then 2) raise the rear end an inch (i'd like to see it raked forward a bit, and I'd like to be able to haul a few medium-weight things).

The truck has Belltech 2500 spindles up front, and previously had Belltech springs, but now has Aldan coil-overs - whcih I installed, and which kept the same ride height as previously. In the back it has an axle flip kit, what looks like aftermarket hangers, and has the helper leaf removed (and a Belltech C-notch).

The current measurements from mid-axle to fender edge is a fairly consistent 14.5" at all four corners (or 28" from ground to fender edge).

First of all - just to identify what I have - does this sound like a 4/6 drop, or a 5/7? And secondly, if you were going to add an inch of height in the rear, would sourcing and replacing the helper spring doi it, or would I need to get a new leaf-spring pack that doesn't have 30 years of wear and sagging (and which are actually quite reasonably priced)?

Any info and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
KM

04SVT

Reaction score
It looks like the truck has the original shackles. I'll take some pics tomorrow of the components and post them.

04SVT

Reaction score
Here are pics:

Attachments

• Shackles.jpg
    Shackles.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Hangers.jpg
    Hangers.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 40
  • Axle flip.jpg
    Axle flip.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 39

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Front hanger looks factory, probably had a drop hanger at one time since it has bolts and not rivet’s. Rear shackles are factory.

I say it’s a 7in drop in the rear. Flip with a leaf removed. I would buy a 1in lift shackle, they are cheap on Amazon.

I would bet the truck had a 2/4 drop (spindles, shackles and hangers) at one time. Then They went to a 6in the rear and cut the springs in the front with the 2in spindles.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
With a leaf removed the spring's rate of progression has been altered. Not for the better.
Springs are designed to ramp-up in stiffness as they compress. With one leaf removed, the pack is too soft. The rate doesn't ramp-up as it should.
Even with a shorter shackles, the load capacity (& the ride) is still going to be poop.
I've had my '98 since '01. Low since '04. 4/6. It's gone through several rounds of mods since. I've taken the leaf spring about as far as it will go before either going 4-link or IRS.
Removing the short leaf ('overload') to get down to 4/7 was one of the most absolute worst things I ever did to it.
The suspension would blow through the travel with any 'real' load or when blasting the twisties. Axle tubes kissing the bump-stops.

I'd say either replace the leaf (PitA) or pony-up for a new set of leafs.
If replacing, also replace the spring pack's centering bolt.
Either way, use new U-bolts. They're torque-to-yield & are one time use only.
4/6 naturally has a slight tilt to the stance.

Box cross-member notched?

Last edited:

04SVT

Reaction score
Sew, thanks so much for that feedback! That describes exactly what I'm experiencing. The truck has decent clearance in the rear, though a little more would be good, to give a little forward rake. But it's bottoming really easily... TOO easily. What you are saying about the springs losing their intended functionality makes total sense.

SD Trucks has reproduction leaf packs for a really good price (though shipping is a *****). I think a new pack would make a world of difference in my driving experience!

Thanks again!
KM

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No local spring manufacturers/suppliers?
Big Rig suspension guys around here will do springs for smaller trucks.
What are your shock angles like?
I'll bet that the truck just has the lower shock extenders, but not the upper shock mount relocators.
I feel like I'm up on a soapbox when it comes to those. When it comes to lowering conversations, they're probably the one part that nobody knows about which I've posted up about more than any other.
I don't know why all the typical drop kit manufacturers don't include, let alone mention, the upper relocators.
The lower extenders allow for the the use of a 4" shorter shock on a 6"/7" drop. They do alter the angle, but it's not enough. The shocks are still too laid out.
The upper relocators bring the tops of the shocks back to a more upright angle. Almost back to their original position & very much closer to the angles that the shocks were designed to work at. They do not alter the distance between the upper & lower mounts.
The short shocks you have on there now will be just fine.
Upper Shock Mount Relocation kit. BellTech #6658.
About $80.00-$90.00.
They can be a bit hard to find. B/T makes a short run of them every so often & they go quick.
Some members have found them RFN. Others have had to search 6 months.
B/T direct or various secondary sellers.
Summit. Jegs. Amazon. Ebay.

You must be registered for see images attach

04SVT

Reaction score
Again... thanks for passing along your experience with this platform. I've only been in the OBS game for 10 months or so. My 93 has had a lot of work done on it over the years - some well done, some not so great (and as I mentioned, none of it documented, which turns it into somewhat of an investigative activity).

I've already discovered several things that could use an upgrade or improvement, and I'm slowly identifying and addressing others. The upper shock relocators sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. I'll be checking into them!