DIY AC Re-charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I vac'd it before trying to fill for an hour. Held vacuum fine.

I laid on that little valve on the new condenser for a bit. Nothing but air coming out of it. No sign of refrigerant there.

Do you have to purge those things before trying to fill?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Generally you purge, vac, then fill WHILE the ENTIRE SYSTEM is still vacced. Do NOT release the vacuum before filling the system. That low side pressure really shouldn't ever go above 100 psi tbh, and that high is really only for when the compressor is not running for an extended period (low and high should equalize). Running, low should be between 45-55, high side pressures between 150-200 at engine idle, 200-300 revved.

Don't fill by pressure - if your system calls for 2.5 pounds of refrigerant, only put in 2.5 pounds (40 ounces, or just over 3 12oz cans). A little less is okay but don't go too low or the evaporator will freeze.

And yes that Schrader valve on the condenser is for the 88-95 (TBI trucks) high pressure switch. It was moved to the line just above the compressor on later models, but replacement condensers are pretty universal. My new parallel flow condenser on my 97 has one there too, I just capped it.

Last edited:

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Generally you purge, vac, then fill WHILE the ENTIRE SYSTEM is still vacced. Do NOT release the vacuum before filling the system. That low side pressure really shouldn't ever go above 100 psi tbh, and that high is really only for when the compressor is not running for an extended period (low and high should equalize). Running, low should be between 45-55, high side pressures between 150-200 at engine idle, 200-300 revved.

Don't fill by pressure - if your system calls for 2.5 pounds of refrigerant, only put in 2.5 pounds (40 ounces, or just over 3 12oz cans). A little less is okay but don't go too low or the evaporator will freeze.

And yes that Schrader valve on the condenser is for the 88-95 (TBI trucks) high pressure switch. It was moved to the line just above the compressor on later models, but replacement condensers are pretty universal. My new parallel flow condenser on my 97 has one there too, I just capped it.

I'm getting same results today. Doesn't the system discharge the compressed refrigerant entirely when opened?

I replaced 2 lines and a compressor and surprised it would have anything left in it..

I can't imagine I have it overfill. Also when I hit that new little hi side valve for the early model trucks while its under pressure I don't get refrigerant discharge.. sounds like just air and maybe a little gas but it doesn't liquefy when it hits atmosphere like it might out of the can or manifold.

I vaccumed it and did not release vacuum before attempting to fill..

pretty well stumped.

if I had a blockage somewhere how would I diagnose?? It seems to be wanting to eat the freon just fine. It's just my pressures go crazy with the compressor running if I keep at that.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Fwiw I vac'd for about 3 hrs today before trying this and when I shut it off it held 29psi of mercury for over an hour without budging so I am pretty sure it's closed up fine.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Anyone see anything like this before?

I figured with the weird pressures I was having there was some blockage somewhere.

Replaced the accumulator drier and went to look at the orifice tube.

It had been drawn down and was mangled down by the elbow of the low side on the condenser...

It was a full 5" down the tube and had to fashion a tool just to get it out. Wtf is this??!

Did my pressure just get too high it drew the OT down that far? I installed it only tip of the finger deep! I thought these were supposed to be crimped to prevent this.

How do I make sure this doesn't happen again?

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Wow, never seen that before. Maybe it was a bad orifice and it was the actual cause of the problem.