DIY AC Re-charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I will try to get it out. Most likely is a piece of the cap and likely leaked down at the schrader valve. The cap was just sitting there loose. I will order up a replacement kit with new caps. I am pretty sure the system is closed but likely leaked mostly down.

Thanks for the response. When I get some pieces in place I'll start a new thread on it. Apologies to the OP but this seemed somewhat in line with what was going on here.

No worries! All good content for the membership

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that just the R134 retrofit fitting?

It is a converted system. I don't know what you are referring to. I am busy learning but mostly ignorant where AC is concerned. I am pretty sure this is the low side schrader. I got after it with a much better camera. The cap was tightened too much and the threads are broken off in the fitting. Here is the valve, the cap and the notice of retrofit. I think I am going to get a new valve and cap on it and try charging it. I might get a season out of it and not out much if it doesn't work. Many thanks to @phatphuck for letting me horn in. Looks like we are in a very similar boat regarding getting the AC working.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
So a small update on this. Ended up replacing most components in the system. Went with a UAC kit off of rockauto.. dont ask me why, its just the one I picked. Hope it is a decent kit. It included the compressor, dryer, orifice tube and ordered a full set of AC Delco seals.

Replaced all the seals i opened up in the system.

Got it all sealed back up, vacuumed and didn't lose any pressure for over 2 hrs. Threw on the bottle of freon and....

My 88 didn't have a high pressure shut off switch (88 & 89 didn't come with one), when I shut off the engine on a hot day, restarted it 10 minutes later the pressure went so high, it blew the pressure switch out of the back of the compressor - sounded like a shot gun going off

This literal thing happened as soon as i stared drawing down pressure on the hi side. I had to swap the pressure sensor into the UAC compressor and it is located directly in the center. Blamo!

I found out later the snap ring did not seat properly because of these stupid ridges in the sensor housing. So I filed them down and replaced (thankfully it was still in one piece).

Wash rinse and repeated the prep steps and vacuumed and managed to get about 36 oz in it. Blwoing cold and holding good pressures n temps. 40-50 on the low, and 225-250 on the hi sides.

Get it all stitched up and shut the truck off...

F-Me! Heard a hiss at the condenser. Its the lower line fitting where I disconnected for the orifice tube access. Unbelievable. Just hit it with some gasket maker in hopes it will hold a charge for this season. If not ill tear back apart and just do new condenser, line, and fan there. Fml

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
So another update. I believe I mistook the leak on the low side line at the condenser. As it turns out there is a lot of condensation coming off the drier and the lines and manifold. But seems to be holding charge just fine.

Also, the aux/condenser fan is not ever cycling on so I believe that switch is bunk.

I jumped it at the connector with ac on and it started spinning. First time I've seen that.

I have a road trip this weekend. Is there any issue with just leaving that connector jumped and having the fan run continuously when the truck is on? Pulling the sensor for a new one means another evac and recharge....

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@phatphuck you are a braver man than me. I gave up long ago and took it to a shop. Its been there a week and no telling how much it will cost. The thing that swayed me was the blower started squealing even on high and I knew I couldn't even get one season without doing that too. In essence it is getting everything you are doing plus a new blower and a warranty! Soldier on brother! Wish I knew about that switch but hope someone does.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So another update. I believe I mistook the leak on the low side line at the condenser. As it turns out there is a lot of condensation coming off the drier and the lines and manifold. But seems to be holding charge just fine.

Also, the aux/condenser fan is not ever cycling on so I believe that switch is bunk.

I jumped it at the connector with ac on and it started spinning. First time I've seen that.

I have a road trip this weekend. Is there any issue with just leaving that connector jumped and having the fan run continuously when the truck is on? Pulling the sensor for a new one means another evac and recharge....

Nothing wrong with hot-wiring until you can fix it.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Just when you think you've got something down..

Anyone have a suspicion why my low side pressure is so high? Stays about here on the high side but spike to 500psi or so when compressor kicks in for 2 sec increments.

Low pressure side drops when compressor kicks on back still to 50 or so.

Just replaced condenser and two lines and orifice tube

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Also I blew refrigerant out the backside of the compressor twice! At the hi pressure switch I suspect

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Also also my new condenser cam with a other outlet valve pictured below. The original did not have this.

Is it a system evac valve or what?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 95's have a pressure switch on that fitting. I don't know what it controls but it is there. If that picture is with the compressor not turning the pressures are pretty much equalized which is pretty normal to see them the same. But it seems a little high but im going off memory so i could be wrong. For your high side spiking I would guess you have air in the system. You said you blew something out on the compressor right? Did you get it vacuumed down correctly when you repaired what ever blew out?