Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rojo

Reaction score
Distributor gear also spins the oil pump so there is real mechanical load on it beyond inertia of the distributor rotor. It would wear same as any other gear under load with operating time. Exacerbated by poor lubrication (wrong oil, low oil, contaminants, high temperature) and misalignment (cam bearing wear).

Captainfab

Reaction score
If you are looking for a better quality distributor than an OEM replacement composite distributor, these are very nice distributors.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have to get under my plenum on my 98 454 to fix a massive fuel leak that cropped up today so might as well do the cap and rotor at least. Is it worth doing the whole distributor at 197k miles or just the top end? If I'm doing the cap and rotor, should I do the coil?

Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might as well do the cap and rotor at least.
Reasonable.

Is it worth doing the whole distributor at 197k miles
Do you have a scan tool, so you can get it put back in properly? If so, pull it out, look it over. Check for gear wear, and loose bushings. The plastic housing is not known for longevity. If it's good...put it back in.

If I'm doing the cap and rotor, should I do the coil?
If the coil is still working properly, the old ~200,000 mile coil is probably BETTER than the brand-new aftermarket junk being sold.