Distributor Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a weird dist., noise.

Started out with a little rattle, almost raspy noise in the low RPMS, I almost couldn’t hear it and didn’t know what it was at first.

Today it got more consistent and I could find the noise while maning the throttle under the hood. Once I realized the noise was at the back of the motor and could feel a matching tap/vibration when I put my hand on the dist cap.

So first thing first, I figured I’d try replacing the cap and rotor. Just got that wrapped up and the noise is now a steady noise. Totally the rotor on the points.

Any ideas?

Thanks

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, ‘99 454. I put this motor in rebuilt about 20/25,000 miles ago. I cannot remember if this dist was new or one I rebuilt when the motor was done.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it have play? Try to wiggle it... I think the gears can wear out on them?

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did check movement while I had the cap off. Everything seemed normal to me.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Step 1 is diag and parts cannoning a cap and rotor.

Step 2 is replacing the entire distributor and resetting crank angle.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's your answer. Also explains why a NEW cap and rotor were MORE noisy--they hadn't worn each other out. Time for a different distributor.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rotor hits the cap hard enough, either the rotor breaks, or the cap shatters. Is a suddenly, unexpectedly stalled vehicle a death trap?

Generally, I'd say "no".

That might change if I drove down steep, twisty mountain roads (no power steering, no power brakes when the engine quits) or if I drove through the "wrong side of town" at sundown