Distributor issues on long trips...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Mat

Reaction score
I bought a 1997 K1500 305ci 5spd for use as a plow truck and a run around on the property for weekend work. It had over 200k miles when I got it.

Problem is after new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, water pump, t-stat, tires, belts, tensioners and all fluids changed it runs great. Runs so well I put another 20k on it the past year and a half!

While it’s been on trips 60-75 miles regularly with no trouble, recent trips of 250-300 miles have presented a problem. After a 250 mile trip with no issues, the next morning the truck started but without cylinders 2 and 4. I replaced the coil, ignition control module rotor and cap and was on my way. Another 300 miles later, while I was driving at highway speed, I had the same problem. I limped to the next exit, replaced the cap and rotor in the parking lot of a Napa auto and made it home. Since then it runs fine on shorter trips.

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Picture is no where near detailed enough to see carbon tracking in the cap. Look closely inside the cap and see if you have faint tracking from on post to another. All it takes is a little moisture and some time to do it. Misfire can be intermittent like you describe.