Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Nice truck! Not a fan of the lumber or stickers though. It really takes away from how nice the rest of the truck is.

Vortec98

Reaction score
Nice truck! Not a fan of the lumber or stickers though. It really takes away from how nice the rest of the truck is.
Yeah I agree. The lumber protects the roof from my canoe when I go fishing. I haven’t seen any other 2wd regular cabs with the 454. Not that it’s super rare or anything. It’s also got the full floating axles which I don’t see a lot of either.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hi everyone. New guy here with a question. I have a 98 2500 2wd regular cab that I keep immaculate. 53,000 original miles with the L29 454. The intake gaskets are starting to weep Coolant (Dexcool).

Mine has pretty much always leaked. I bought the truck with only 6000 miles, and noticed coolant disappearing but didn't know how or why. It eventually got worse (years) and I paid to have the intake gaskets done. Unfortunately, the mechanic didn't do a good job, and it started leaking slightly very quickly... I even found an intake bolt backing out. They're supposed to have Loctite on them, but he used some black garbage. It still leaks to this day.... you can see the coolant. I have 285K miles on the truck. Since it's an external leak, I don't worry too much about it.

Chuck_13

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a 454... the heads are 72lbs:D

I was carrying one covered in a trash bag, and a mouse came out of the bag, ran down my arm, and jumped onto the garage floor. I was so glad I didn't drop it on my foot!

Dud,I almost had a coffee spew!Imagine going to the ER;"What happened to your foot?',"Well,you see......"

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New guy here with a question. I have a 98 2500 2wd regular cab that I keep immaculate. 53,000 original miles with the L29 454. The intake gaskets are starting to weep Coolant (Dexcool). My dilemma is whether or not to do the head gaskets as well, since I’ll be almost there anyway. I’d hate to do just the intake gaskets then have a head gasket go shortly after. Are head gasket issues as common as I’ve heard with the Dexcool? The engine is older than it has miles so maybe it’s a good idea? I’m also planning on doing the fuel pressure regulator while I’m in there. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Leave the head gaskets alone and do just intake gaskets and use either a GM gaskets or a fell to gasket kit which includes everything you need. Do thermostat, tune-up, air/fuel filters, pcv valve and your pressure regulator. When doing intake gaskets, put a thin layer of the ultra grey silicone on both sides of the intake gaskets where the coolant passes through and between the cylinder heads. The silicone will help prevent future leaks. Also use blue lock-tite on intake bolt threads and after torquing bolts to spec, let it sit 10 minutes and recheck and after recheck go another 90°. This is how I do the intake gaskets on the vortex engine and never had any comebacks. Make sure the surface of the heads and intake manifold are cleaned good

GMAC1998

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New guy here with a question. I have a 98 2500 2wd regular cab that I keep immaculate. 53,000 original miles with the L29 454. The intake gaskets are starting to weep Coolant (Dexcool). My dilemma is whether or not to do the head gaskets as well, since I’ll be almost there anyway. I’d hate to do just the intake gaskets then have a head gasket go shortly after. Are head gasket issues as common as I’ve heard with the Dexcool? The engine is older than it has miles so maybe it’s a good idea? I’m also planning on doing the fuel pressure regulator while I’m in there. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i wouldn't worry about head gaskets. flush cooling system, distilled water only...ur good. G-mac