Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec98

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New guy here with a question. I have a 98 2500 2wd regular cab that I keep immaculate. 53,000 original miles with the L29 454. The intake gaskets are starting to weep Coolant (Dexcool). My dilemma is whether or not to do the head gaskets as well, since I’ll be almost there anyway. I’d hate to do just the intake gaskets then have a head gasket go shortly after. Are head gasket issues as common as I’ve heard with the Dexcool? The engine is older than it has miles so maybe it’s a good idea? I’m also planning on doing the fuel pressure regulator while I’m in there. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking the heads off is a hell of a lot more work than the intake. I say leave it. Only 53k, things hardly broken in.
Sounds like a super nice truck though. Pics?

Vortec98

Reaction score
how is removing an intake almost to the head gasket?
Because you have to remove the intake to take the heads off. After that it’s just rocker arms, exhaust manifold bolts and head bolts which are pretty straight forward. It’s only nuts and bolts, but if I don’t have to any more work I don’t want to.

Vortec98

Reaction score
Taking the heads off is a hell of a lot more work than the intake. I say leave it. Only 53k, things hardly broken in.
Sounds like a super nice truck though. Pics?
I’ll try to post some pics tomorrow.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I agree with honkon, head gaskets dont go on these engines for a LONG time unless you boost. do the intake, swap over to green coolant and forget about the head gaskets for at least another 150k miles.

Reaction score
Because you have to remove the intake to take the heads off. After that it’s just rocker arms, exhaust manifold bolts and head bolts which are pretty straight forward. It’s only nuts and bolts, but if I don’t have to any more work I don’t want to.
yeah only 50+ more bolts, wrestling 40 pound heads out of an engine bay,coolant all over the floor and in the cylinders, pulling the accessory drive off of the heads, and then scrape off the gasket and reassemble? And probably an oil change. yeah almost there.

Vortec98

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Ok ok you win!
$20 in parts and a Saturday, I’m ok with that.