Differentials.. 75w-90 vs 75w-110

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Amsoil will have "positraction" additive already in the product. Not suitable for G80.

How? Most gear oils have posi additives so I don't see what would make Amsoil so exclusively incompatible here. And since there is no posi present, what is there to hurt? The while point of a posi additive is to have the right amount of friction present to allow it to do its job. No additive means the posi won't slip enough. What does additive present mean for a non-posi? Jack **** from where I'm typing, but I'm willing to learn if I'm wrong.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How? Most gear oils have posi additives so I don't see what would make Amsoil so exclusively incompatible here. And since there is no posi present, what is there to hurt? The while point of a posi additive is to have the right amount of friction present to allow it to do its job. No additive means the posi won't slip enough. What does additive present mean for a non-posi? Jack **** from where I'm typing, but I'm willing to learn if I'm wrong.

I'm not going to pretend to know the particulars on the matter, but there is a GM TSB that specifically recommends against any type of friction modifier/posi additive for GMT400s equipped with G80 carriers. I'd imagine it's something to do with how the Gov-Lock system engages. I can verify that I ran additive with the 10 bolt G80 in my red truck and it behaved really erratically. I replaced the oil with straight ACDelco GL5 80W-90 and it went back to normal again.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/256237

Credit to @someotherguy for posting the TSB on ChevyTalk.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How? Most gear oils have posi additives so I don't see what would make Amsoil so exclusively incompatible here.

I have not seen any technical specs on various gear oils, but when I've read the backs of containers, it looked more like carefully worded marketing, that says it could be used with positrac differentials not that it actually included a modifier.

And since there is no posi present, what is there to hurt? The while point of a posi additive is to have the right amount of friction present to allow it to do its job. No additive means the posi won't slip enough. What does additive present mean for a non-posi? Jack **** from where I'm typing, but I'm willing to learn if I'm wrong.

I believe the G80 uses some sort of clutch mechanism to engage the lock.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Nope!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

(You didn't quote, but assuming you were replying to me)

I see your nope, and raise you a yup. You have the polished GM consumer version of the operation.

Here is Eaton's video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have not seen any technical specs on various gear oils, but when I've read the backs of containers, it looked more like carefully worded marketing, that says it could be used with positrac differentials not that it actually included a modifier.

I believe the G80 uses some sort of clutch mechanism to engage the lock.

And as I said NOPE! The Governor is what engages the locking mechanism when there is a wheel speed difference from side to side. The clutches are there to transfer the torque to the axles.:waytogo:

Watch YOUR video starting a 2:26

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno why this battle will never end. The GM TSB says it all, and several of us have experienced the results of those that ignore the TSB and put the wrong lube in. Different lubricants exist for good reasons. Other great examples would be the difference in GL4 and GL5 specs in regards to bronze transmission/transfer case parts. Use the wrong spec gear oil in a case like that and you do real damage. Or the wrong gear oil "it'll be fine" in an NV4500 with the original style carbon fiber synchros...toast, $1K+ to rebuild once it starts grinding gears.

Richard

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Dunno why this battle will never end. The GM TSB says it all, and several of us have experienced the results of those that ignore the TSB and put the wrong lube in. Different lubricants exist for good reasons. Other great examples would be the difference in GL4 and GL5 specs in regards to bronze transmission/transfer case parts. Use the wrong spec gear oil in a case like that and you do real damage. Or the wrong gear oil "it'll be fine" in an NV4500 with the original style carbon fiber synchros...toast, $1K+ to rebuild once it starts grinding gears.

Richard

I agree with you on the importance of following GM's recommendation for the correct lube in ANY unit in a vehicle. I worked a large Chevy dealership an got to witness a Corvette get a new transmission due to improper lube during a recommended service interval. The service tech decided that regular gear lube was fine for the manual gear box. He found out later that the paper lined syncro's required special lube.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
And as I said NOPE! The Governor is what engages the locking mechanism when there is a wheel speed difference from side to side. The clutches are there to transfer the torque to the axles.:waytogo:

Watch YOUR video starting a 2:26

No clutches, no engagement, no locking.