Different tire size on front and back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tire difference isn't a problem for those you've chosen.

Where you're going to have a possible concern regardless of tire size is when cornering with 4x4 engaged, when traction happens to be better than "poor". The torque wind-up in the drivetrain will get as high as it needs to be to force the tires to slip, so as to accommodate the different turning radius of the front wheels vs. the rears. You'll notice it when it happens... hear it and feel it. At least, I did.

Some of our GMT400s had selectable "on demand" 4x4 as well as "locked" 4x4; the former engaged under conditions of wheel slip (presumably as a function of the ABS wheel speed sensors). It effectively eliminates torque wind-up in good traction conditions.

I've got this feature on my Suburban but rarely (once) used it.

I'll run "locked" 4x4 under traction conditions that will allow the tires to slip easily during cornering, i.e., gravel, loose dirt / farm field, snow,... not on clear, hard surfaced roads.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that when I take my foot off of the gas, the engine, even at idle, is still sending a lot of torque to the rear wheels which in turn causes them to lock and then move sideways. That combined with the heavy front and light rear end causes loss of control. The 95 doesn't send enough torque to the rear wheels to keep them spinning hard.(it does have the G80).
That's my theory and i'm sticking too it, until someone proves me to be a crackpot.
1. Verify you have correct idle speed, a too-high idle can cause that (typically at low vehicle speed.) I'm kinda guessing that this is NOT the problem you're having.

2. Pulling your foot out of the throttle with a normal or low idle speed can cause a loss of traction especially with a manual transmission. The tires are sliding due to LOW rpm--not a skid like having the brakes/tires locked, but the tires aren't turning fast enough to match vehicle speed. Same result as if they were spinning too fast--loss of directional stability.

@Schurkey I've been on this forum for a while now, and I've always wondered....what the hell is that in your profile pic?
I think that is an Aragon 4004 amplifier
Close.

The "industrial design" of both the 4004 and the 8008 (and many other Mondial products) were done by the same guy--Robbii Wessen.

The thumbnail is of an Aragon 8008BB (or the similarly-looking 8008ST) stereo amplifier, the successor to the 4004 which was discontinued sometime around the middle-1990s. The 8008 series continued until the company was sold to Klipsch in Y2K or 2001, I forget exactly when. The two founding partners of Mondial Design Group are both dead. Klipsch updated the cosmetics, held onto Aragon and it's sister company Acurus for a few years, eventually sold the rights and designs, the successor to the 8008 is still being produced by Indy Audio Labs using similar topology with some modern enhancements.

www.aragonav.com/Titanium

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So bottom line is you guys would not use the 4x4 with those two different tire sizes?
whats the diameter difference? A wider but same size tire, for example, wouldnt be ideal(especially if the tread is more grippy as well) because I could see that being harder on your drivetrain, but if your 4wd use is at low speeds, off road, then its likely ok. but as this is the first of 3 pages people probably already said all this lol...

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you really want to blow peoples minds, run 4.10 gears in the back with 37" tires and 3.42 gears in the front with 30.5" tires. And tire chains on all 4 corners.

You must be registered for see images attach
id be worried about those fenders especially if the snow dips the front down far enough and then you turn the wheel. yikes. truly that truck couldnt do well with just the back chained?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
id be worried about those fenders especially if the snow dips the front down far enough and then you turn the wheel. yikes. truly that truck couldnt do well with just the back chained?

Ive been running front chains on that truck for around 10 years, never have any rubbing problems unless a chain breaks. Even then, not a problem because it never leaves my driveway. I've always wanted to plow with torque and traction rather than momentum... momentum breaks and bends stuff. The only limitation to how much I can push is the weight of the plow starting to lift when I get into heavy drifts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My plow truck hangs it's head in shame. I was gonna install the Truetrac this summer, and never got up the ambition. If it's going to happen, it needs to happen SOON.

Been looking at (new) chains, but mostly for the 'Deere riding lawnmower with snow-blower attachment. Great lawnmower. Shi_tty snow blower. That is, the blower works GREAT, but the "tractor" won't push it worth a crap. So I do my snow-blowing with momentum.

Wheel-weights would help, too. Deere doesn't sell 'em for my "tractor". I have a TBI cylinder head bolted to the bracket on the rear for winter weight. Good use of a TBI head.

DDTurbo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you really want to blow peoples minds, run 4.10 gears in the back with 37" tires and 3.42 gears in the front with 30.5" tires. And tire chains on all 4 corners.

You must be registered for see images attach

The OP's tires are close enough for less than ideal traction surfaces.
I have a set of radial 480/70R-30 that I replaced for 16.9-30's on rear of my tractor.
They are slightly larger diameter but, also have more wear than the front 11.4-24's.
No problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of radial 480/70R-30 that I replaced for 16.9-30's on rear of my tractor.
They are slightly larger diameter but, also have more wear than the front 11.4-24's.
No problem.

The tractor has a drivetrain that’s designed for heavy, sustained loads, which is notable.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive been running front chains on that truck for around 10 years, never have any rubbing problems unless a chain breaks. Even then, not a problem because it never leaves my driveway. I've always wanted to plow with torque and traction rather than momentum... momentum breaks and bends stuff. The only limitation to how much I can push is the weight of the plow starting to lift when I get into heavy drifts.
Lol... hearing you say that is funny. my gpa decided to make a bulldozer out of the 1980 gmc. It worked but he clearly over did it, put a small kink in the frame. So he Made braces..... what a strange man he was. He used it to level dirt..