Different tire size on front and back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a truck with 265/75r16 tires. Its a RCLB 4x4. In 2wd, this truck fishtails on slippery highways/roads pretty badly. I can get 2 studded winter tires which are 235/85r16 from a friend for free. I've done a comparison and these two size tires are very close;

You must be registered for see images attach

Could a guy leave the 265/75r16 tires on the front and put the 235/85r16 tires on the back? I use the 4x4 very rarely except in deeper snow. I am hoping to have better highway driving without the fishtailing that sent me into the ditch twice last winter. Thanks.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The short answer, yes, the diameter is close enough that it wont hurt as long as you dont run in 4x4 on dry or near dry pavement.

However, I agree with Caman, get a matching set of tires for the front (studded winter also if possible). For a street driven truck that mismatch could give some interesting handling characteristics especially if your already towards the traction limit. And you'll know for sure that you can leave it in 4x4 if you are so inclined. Or if you let somebody else drive it they wont blow up your t-case.

Do what you do and know your limits.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard--unofficially--that if the tire rolling diameter is within 3%, there's no problem.

I haven't worked the math, but that's probably the difference between "new" tires, and tires on the wear-bars.

Of course, there's also the matter of load capacity, and how well they fit your wheels. What's the stock size for your truck?

AND...consider using the 4WD more often (as needed.) I fling mine in to 4WD any time I question the traction.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget to account for the spares required.

I had to run a mismatched spare in 4wd on a snowy interstate for hundreds of miles... no bueno. Your size difference seems insignificant in comparison though.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck is a 2010 Chevy 2500HD. Stock was 245/75r16 on aluminum rims and i changed that to 265/75/16 on a set of 16X7 steel wheels (one ton truck wrecker yard). Even with 300 pounds of weight in the back, it still fishtailed and sent me into the ditch. I guess being middle aged, I still think you shouldn't run 4X4 full time on the highway, especially if it isn't slippery but maybe you can now. Didn't want to destroy the transfer case, risked life instead. I put 4 studded 235/85r16 on my 95 GMC to allow me to make my trips in the spring. (730 mile round trip to see my folks....my mom had suffered several strokes). I am not as comfortable making that trip with the 95 as I used to be, in the winter.......

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can’t afford 2 tires, a new transfer case is definitely out of your budget.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes 8 lug 2500hd, 6 lug 95 GMC. Its not so much that i can't afford the new tires, I was just wondering if I could work with what i have. This past winter was the first time i EVER put winter tires on my 95 GMC. Its just that the highways were sooooo damn slippery this past winter. I know studded snow tires on the rear of all my dads cars worked great (86 cutlass, 81 delta 88, 64 pontiac) I always thought that my dads 81 delta 88 with rear snow tires was better than my 95 GMC in 4x4. ha ha.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So bottom line is you guys would not use the 4x4 with those two different tire sizes?