Did they have two different doors for the gmt 400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zugzub

Reaction score
Heres what happened. I have a 99 Suburban that needed a passenger side front door. A friend acquired me one and painted it for me.

I have discovered several things.

Exterior door handles are different. The one off of my 99 door is longer and wider by almost a 1/8 of an inch. If you go to switch the door locks, one the latch that holds it in faces up, one faces down.

The door latch and door lock rods for the interior door handle, and door lock are different lengths

The panel that holds the door regulator and interior door handle are different shapes. The original has a hump on the top of it, the replacement one is a perfect rectangle.

The door I acquired hangs and fits perfect. Just none of the parts interchange

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Door on left is 95 + door on right is pre 95. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the door skin is the same, but I am not sure about the shell. When replacing body parts, it is best to stay close to the same year. When stamping the metal to make a truck , or car, the dies get worn when they get older, and are changed every so often. This can slightly distort the parts a little.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i replace my lock cylinders the junkyard guy that sold me the new ones told me the 96 was an oddball because the arms that come off the lock are keyed upside down from the other years, easily solved if you take both doors apart at the same time by swapping from side for side. I only felt like doing the one because the cylinder had become one with the handle and i only had a drivers handle. so i just hammered it to fit

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same with headlights and grill too! But while a 95 pickup got the new headlights the burbs and 3500's got the new parts in 96. Or late late 95.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I've used the pre-95 doors on the 95+ trucks, but you have to switch everything out. Rear crew cab doors are different between the pre 95 and 95 and up models, the panels will not interchange from what I've read. The only difference I noticed on the front doors is the newer ones had much more sound deadening in them and were a lot heavier.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same with headlights and grill too! But while a 95 pickup got the new headlights the burbs and 3500's got the new parts in 96. Or late late 95.
You may want to look at a few more trucks/years, you're pretty much way off base here. :) No biggie, live and learn.

New grille hit all models in 1994.
"New" headlights (if you mean the composites) hit all models in 1990, unless it was a base model that got the large single sealed beams, both options lasted until the very final year of this body.

There are a whole lot of exceptions and differences based on model, load capacity, etc. across the years, but not the ones you mentioned.

Richard

rags77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used the pre-95 doors on the 95+ trucks, but you have to switch everything out. Rear crew cab doors are different between the pre 95 and 95 and up models, the panels will not interchange from what I've read. The only difference I noticed on the front doors is the newer ones had much more sound deadening in them and were a lot heavier.

I need more info upon the crew cab doors I just took one of a 97 suburban that’s going on my 98 cc