Detroit true track

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone ever use a true track clutch-less posi? How do you like it? How does it compare to an Eaton clutch style?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed one on my K2500 10.5 Full-Float axle last winter.

ALL of last winter...but that's a story I've already told in nauseating detail.
www.gmt400.com/threads/10-5-full-float-truetrac-differential-installation.61321/

By the time I got the truck driveable again, all the heavy snow-plowing was done. I scraped the driveway a few times, but that wouldn't have been a problem even with the open diff that was in there previously.

All I can say is that I have no noises, no problems with turning corners, no issues at all...and I never leave one black streak coming off of stop-signs.

So far... so good. The downside is that I want to install a Truetrac in the '77 Nova, and the prices have just about doubled since I've had it on my Summit wish-list. I bought the Truetrac for the plow truck a couple years before I installed it, (the warranty ran out while it was still in the box sealed in a plastic bag) and the price on it also nearly doubled. Thanks, Eaton, Biden, and Wuhan Lab.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I put one in my Camaro and it's pretty damn good in terms of performance. You'd need something custom to do better, but bear in mind my application is on a road course, not in super slick conditions like plowing snow. YMMV there. I do think it's eating the case though just like the Torsen T2R I had in there at one point. I just don't understand why they don't support the ends of the worm gears? It's a self destructive design.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Not something I knew about.

The LAST thing I'm gonna do is pull the thing apart to look. At least, not until I figure there's enough miles on it to remove all the "break-in" metal powder from the magnet.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We put a TrueTrac in my dad's '70 Monte Carlo years ago and it's been awesome, no complaints. As mentioned it might not be the best choice for icy conditions or serious off-roading, but neither is a clutch type posi. Both will divert all power to one tire if said tire loses traction completely. You can get around that by applying some brake pressure, but it's not something you need to worry about with a true locker.